Replacing Hitachi 222 scope

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had a Hitachi 222 for slightly over 30 years. Some days it just won't make a screen. Can't tell if it's the trigger circuit or HV. As much as I don't want to, it may have to get replaced. Having cut my teeth on analog scopes I'd like to stay with analog, but like the idea of being able to capture waveforms and save to usb.

I've used USB scopes to do live presentations and they're OK. For the bench scope I think I want to get a bench type DSO. I'd like to stay under $500. Any suggestions?

I just recently had a similar issue with my Hitachi V-425!

It came up with just a big fat unfocused blob on the screen that had no response to any of the controls after 30years of faithful service!!
It had appeared that there was an issue with the horizontal amplifier section.

So I took the covers off and re-seated every connector that I could get loose as well as the CRT socket and re-seated it too.

Fired it back up and Whaa-Laa it was working and I was back in business again.

I was devastated thinking that the thing had gone down and there was nothing I could do to fix it, But it all worked out!!

Give it a try I hope it works for you.

I have seen Tektronix 2465's go for cheap on Ebay.
But do try for one that is in working order and not just for parts.
One of those may be my next scope once I get some money saved up.
Quad trace to 350Mhz for less than $400 or so,and a digital cursor system, what a nice scope for cheap!!

Good Luck!!!

jer :)

Last edited:
Problem is when I buy a used 'scope I want a friend's beloved cast-off when he upgrades, not some stranger's intermittent impossible-to-calibrate headache with non-linear display and quirky behavior when it gets hot.

I wouldn't mind digital if the resolution is better than analog. But I want knobs, not up/down buttons. it sure seems like the reasonable way to have storage. I'd love it if it plugged into my high-perf laptop.

Worst 'scope was my old Heathkit. Took a month to assemble. Drifted around all over the place.

Some now have what I really need: truly well-isolated inputs. So I really can't damage it in the normal course of stupid things I might do.

And I want an assortment of probes, for any level from my car's ignition coil secondary to tube B+ to SS B+ to logic-level to background radiation noise.

I don't need exceptional UHF RF performance, but that translates into accurate display of the "sharp corners" or accurate harmonic content of lower-frequency fundamental frequencies.

I started a thread a log time ago trying to organize a group buy, but nobody can agree on what they want.

Hi There,

I went to use my V-425 scope today and it glitched out again!!!
This time it powered up just fine and after about 10 minutes it collapsed to a unfocused dot in the middle of the screen of about 1/4" diameter.

I tapped on the case very hard and it popped back in a couple of times but only for a few seconds and then glitched out again.

So I took the top off and started wiggling all of the connectors.
I found that the Main power cable PCB connector from the transformer on the board to be the culprit!!!

Some how the solder connection on the +/- 8Vac supply had cracked and broken loose!

I have seen such things before, But I still find it odd as the thing had rarely ever been apart and I have never taken any of the connectors off before.
All I have ever done to it was to spray down its occasionally noisy switch's and controls.

Upon re-soldering the connector all is well now and I expect this thing to outlast me!!! He,he,he,he

This scope is identical to the 225 only it is the 40Mhz version.
Here are some pictures to show where the issue had occurred.
Sorry, But I didn't get in pic's of the faulty display.

:cheers:

jer :)

Attachments

• Open Case.jpg
    Open Case.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Top Corner.jpg
    Top Corner.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Power connector.jpg
    Power connector.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 54
  • bad solder joint.jpg
    bad solder joint.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 54
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.