QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Did it a couple of years ago in the Cool Edit.
I think it goes like this:
Generate - 44.1kHz 16 Bit - Noise - White - sec.
Effects - Filters - FFT - size 8192 - Blackman-Harris
I also could send you the wav file.

This is great.... finally an easy test which shows a lot of unwanted stuff... certainly more audible than single tone at <-100dB. I have this multi-tone ability on my AP-2722 but the setup is a long learning curve. Your method seems much easier and so I would like to try it as well.

Can you put your file up somewhere we can all get it or do I need to send you my email address?

THx- Richard Marsh

Last edited:
It seems all that noise would be very effective at linearizing the A/D converter as well as dithering. You're likely to see something different than with just those tones themselves around 1kHz.

Would be nice to see some power amp measurements, CD's players I already did a lot of, maybe some of the newer DAC's , AK ,Wolfson or the Soekris one.
Possibly could help to settle the discussion about the single tone THD measurement relevance to. If deeper notch is needed ,one could repeat the exercise choosing higher sample rate and bit depth, and play the file trough the sound card.

I don't understand, I put it up for free access.

I just checked, the link works for me.
It might be because I shared the link from my Android device by Gmail to myself then clicked on it from my desktop. The shared link was via Tapatalk which I use to read forums on my phone. I'll check it again, I'm sure it will be ok. Thanks!

Sent from my x600 using Tapatalk

.....Up to this point for more realistic testing ,more music like random signal is a noise with gap quite revealing, where anything in the bottom of the gap is distortion.
Nice work.
You have provided steep cutoff, band cut response.
Other revealings would be same steep cutoff Hp or LP filter at a bunch of cutoff frequencies.
The above mapping, plotted against power levels ought to be quite revealing.

Dan.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My autoranger for sounds cards and QA400-type test equipment is coming together nicely!

Jan

Attachments

• ar bench display.jpg
    ar bench display.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 374
  • ar box from back.jpg
    ar box from back.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 366
  • ar box from front.jpg
    ar box from front.jpg
    534 KB · Views: 354
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
My autoranger for sounds cards and QA400-type test equipment is coming together nicely!

Jan

Yes, the numbers.
The max input is 100V RMS (140V peak) so you can directly measure power amp output. Min. input around 150mV. Between those levels the autoranger will deliver around 1V to your soundcard. Fully automatically.

Freq response is flat to 100 kHz at +/- 0.1dB. Distortion -120dB. That should be OK for all those sound cards out there.

To help with setup, the display shows the actual level going into the soundcard and the autoranger input level and attenuation or gain setting applied.
Atten/gain ranges from -40dB to +16dB.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Which PIC did you use?

Looks like it might be a PIC18F24xx family.

No it's a 16F886.

Actually I was wondering where to go with this. There must be many audio guys that could use it. This autoranger + a soundcard + ARTA gives you a close equivalent to an AP. Problem is sound cards are so cheap these days. Would people buy an autoranger that is more expensive than the sound card?

Jan

Last edited:
No it's a 16F886.

Actually I was wondering where to go with this. There must be many audio guys that could use it. This autoranger + a soundcard + ARTA gives you a close equivalent to an AP. Problem is sound cards are so cheap these days. Would people buy an autoranger that is more expensive than the sound card?

Jan

Yes because it's the one thing that is missing from sound cards that sets them apart from instrumentation. With this a sound card become a complete instrument.

It's still cheaper than buying a AP, Shibasoku, Panasonic etc.

Besides the guys have been asking for this for years now.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Would be nice to see some power amp measurements, CD's players I already did a lot of, maybe some of the newer DAC's , AK ,Wolfson or the Soekris one.
Possibly could help to settle the discussion about the single tone THD measurement relevance to. If deeper notch is needed ,one could repeat the exercise choosing higher sample rate and bit depth, and play the file trough the sound card.

Did you find anything interesting when you tested CD players this way?

THx-RNMarsh

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No it's a 16F886.

Jan

what could you do to make it cheaper? I wouldn't need the I/O voltage display, for example to lower costs. what else?

-RNM