Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401
QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2019, 11:35 PM   #2581
QAMAtt is offline QAMAtt
diyAudio Member

Mostly for convenience. The QA401 is small (177x44x97mm) and light (420g) and carrying it in your backpack or computer bag is easy. Plug the QA401 into a port, and you'll quickly see if the port noise is causing an issue. And if it is, then just use a powered USB hub or USB power injector with your choice of 5V adapter. That is the same as having a dedicated power supply.

But most PCs have USB ports that are usable as-is. Even a $199 fanless PC. Even the nasty desktop port shown in the previous post isn't much of a problem: You can see the noise floor of the analyzer (attached) when powered by that nasty port in the previous post: It's only a few tenths of a dB above the expected noise floor of -115.x dBV (20 KHz, no weighting).
Attached Images
File Type: png usb port noise 3.png (42.3 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by QAMAtt; 20th March 2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM   #2582
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I'll do some more methodical tests tomorrow. I used several USB ports including an external hub (that works fine with the QA101 and a Picoscope). I found several poor cables and 1 good short (1') and one good long (8') cable. If I were still selling USB cables this would be a really effective sales tool.

I'll dig deeper since its interesting to me. Also interesting is how clean the loopback is with a good cable connection.

To Do:
Several cables on a port that works with a good cable.
Several computers (I have three I can try this with) with different ports.
Measure the DCR of the ground wire and Vbus. A litle more difficult to get to.

USBIF has specific specs for voltage drop under load. I should be able to check the actual drop. I'll also set up a breakout to check for noise. Maybe I should start a cable company. Oops, been there. Not again.
Old Today, 03:59 AM   #2583
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edechamps View Post
These issues are fixed in ASIO401 1.1. Starting from that version, ASIO401 sticks with the convention that a positive sample value represents a positive voltage on the + terminal.
I just posed an issue that the ASIO format is not working with either Virtins Multi-Instument or DiAna. It seems there are a number of valid ASIO formats but not every software works with all of them.

QuantAsylum QA400 and QA401Hide this!Advertise here!