Dayton Audio iMM-6 Feedback

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It does come with a calibration curve... presumably measured from your particular microphone. Or is it a group average error correction curve for all mics... same curve for everyone? Didn't see any graphs/plots of Omni-directionality or corrected freq response or tolerance/error etc. Guess you have to buy one to find out? Hmmm. Anyway, I have a similar mic one from a few years ago for my iTouch and it works well... no idea how accurate it is ..... I wonder if this one is better/flatter etc? Sure is cheap.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
I have this microphone and for what it cost it is an excellent mic. !!

Each microphone has its own curve that is specific to it.

I have even used this microphone for some very lite recording as it can only handle just under 120db or so as it exhibits clipping above this.

I used it record some ambience and to get an overall sound of a blues band while they were working out there part and it was very clean!!

I was amazed that the kick drum and bass guitar had come out so well with very very little coloration the of the band as a whole, if any at all!!!

I even use it to record an Acoustic Guitar as well with very good results since I can't afford to get any $350 mic's right now. ;)

It is very flat and reminded me of the Audio Technica 4041's that I had many years ago, only that the 4041's can handle as much as 145db.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
I have this microphone and for what it cost it is an excellent mic. !!

Each microphone has its own curve that is specific to it.

I have even used this microphone for some very lite recording as it can only handle just under 120db or so as it exhibits clipping above this.

I used it record some ambience and to get an overall sound of a blues band while they were working out there part and it was very clean!!

I was amazed that the kick drum and bass guitar had come out so well with very very little coloration the of the band as a whole, if any at all!!!

I even use it to record an Acoustic Guitar as well with very good results since I can't afford to get any $350 mic's right now. ;)

It is very flat and reminded me of the Audio Technica 4041's that I had many years ago, only that the 4041's can handle as much as 145db.

FWIW

thanks a lot jer. then i guess it should do pretty well for basic room EQing job

Yes, I use mine all of the time and have made some very nice and accurate measurements with it.
I especially like that it goes down to 20hz as my other everyday mic's (assorted and vocal) tend to start rolling off at 40 to 70hz or so.

P.S. It helps greatly to have an SPL meter to calibrate your software to a reference level as well, I picked Mine up for $20 on sale at this same time of the year when I got my mic.

Last edited:
Hi!

How do you use it with smart phone?
I have the suggested android program for the measurement (AudioTool by Bofinit Corporation), but for the signals until now I used some measurement CD played on CDP. I know that this program can creat signals, but I don't know how to connect the mic to the amplifier. Is that connector on the "leg" a 3.5mm normal stereo Jack or TRSS type?

Greets:
Tyimo

Headphone output goes to the amp, microphone goes to the mic input on the phone. What you might need is a cable to split the signals.

I haven't done it yet myself, so take with a grain of salt.

Fancy measurements require control of the signal going to the amp, but plenty can be done with a CD of filtered noise and looking at the spectral response displayed on the phone.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Phone connection on the jack are a little odd. You can thank Apple for this.

From the tip bac- the tip is the left channel headphone output. The next ring is the right channel headphone output. The next ring is the ground connection for both the headphone and the microphone. The base ring (sleeve) is the mike input. The phone provides about 2.5V of bias voltage through a 1-2K resistor to that connection and that's where the mike gets its power. Its is not a Phantom power connection in the classic recording terms.

Early on those used the Panasonic ECM 21 (?) microphone capsules. The same capsule that Earthworks uses on their measurement mikes. That has all changed since Panasonic shut down that business a year ago.

For measurement purposes a sable power supply and a cal file should be fine. Most recording microphones focus on lower noise and some specific frequency response curves for a specific sound. Even the shape of the housing/windscreen impacts the sound in specific ways. If you listen and experiment with the Dayton mike you should be able to get a decent recording. Its more about the artistry of listening to the sound and finding the right place than having a magic microphone.

I bought one, playing with it tonight if I get a chance.

It would not be my choice for any music recording.

For recording the priority chain I follow is; Reliable, durable, useful sound characteristics. That tiny plug is going to make noise from time to time eventually, and rarely do I want a omni pattern on a mic, forces you to mic very close or pick up lots of room noise.