Dayton Audio iMM-6 Feedback

From the tip bac- the tip is the left channel headphone output. The next ring is the right channel headphone output. The next ring is the ground connection for both the headphone and the microphone. The base ring (sleeve) is the mike input. The phone provides about 2.5V of bias voltage through a 1-2K resistor to that connection and that's where the mike gets its power. Its is not a Phantom power connection in the classic recording terms.
Thanks!

How to measure a loudspeaker with this mic? I mean with the suggested AudioTool by Bofinit Corporation, how to get a frequency amplitude response diagram?

Tyimo

Has anyone taken measurements to compare the iMM-6 against a higher quality mic? I'd be curious to see how it stacks up. In fact, curious enough I'll order one and let someone who has the proper equipment borrow it for measurement.

I think most modern laptops should be able to use the 4 pin input plug. Will programs like REW accept the mic calibration files in xx.txt format?

Not a toy, but not a mic made for doing recording, just a low cost microphone that is EQ calibrated without regard for sound quality or other desirable recording microphone characteristics.

it is a 6mm omnidirectional condenser microphone with a frequency response of 18hx-20khz, impedance 200ohms, sensitivity 10mv/pa@1hz
S/N Ratio 70db Max Spl 127DB @ 1% THD
Perfect for measuring and the price can not be beat.

Yeah, you could drop 1000 bucks on a better mic, power supply and mixer but we are talkingt about a home studio that has to deal with traffic both land and air, refrigerator motors, and room acoustics.

Adapters work with PC sound cards.

I own an IMM-6 and was able to make it work with a basic USB sound card via a TRRS jack to sound card plug adapter (mic in/headphone out both TRS), which I also got for a few bucks on eBay.

Mic inputs on sound cards generally conform to the old SoundBlaster pinout. That's mic signal on the tip, bias voltage on the ring and ground on the sleeve.

This would almost certainly work with an internal sound card too, however USB sound cards help isolate analog signals from noisy PC innards. The eBay cheapies mostly use CMedia chips; mine has the CM119 and you can Google up datasheets. The CM108 is also good. Audio quality is only so-so, but that's not very important for measurement purposes.

Go For it, the IMM-6 and UMM-6 are almost similar except the interface they use. I would rather suggest to go for the UMM-6 which is the USB version, but should work across your Tablets also if you have USB Host facility.

I have some very initial notes on usage of the UMM-6 here both running it on Android as well as PC (more information will come soon):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/273836-dayton-umm-6-usb-pc-android.html

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You need to emulate the source impedance of the microphone for that to be accurate. It may be easier and get better results to get a better USB record/replay adapter. Some of the first gen decent ones are cheap on eBay now. e.g. PreSonus Audiobox USB Digital Recording Interface NO RESERVE!!!!!!! 888365118888 | eBay Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Recording Interface
M-AUDIO M-TRACK USB RECORDING INTERFACE | eBay

Sometimes its worth a few dollars to move up and not be at the mercy of inadequate tools.

iSEMic 725TR Measurement & recording microphone

1/4 ″ MULTI STANDARD MEASUREMENT MICROPHONE

BOX CONTENTS

iSEMic 725TR MIcrophone
Calibration data (download) availabe from my.isemic.com or my.isemcon.com
TYPICAL APPLICATIONS

Sound-power and sound-field analysis
Industrial Acoustics
Room acoustics analysis
Sound reinforcement
Real time analyzers
Band recording
The ¼“ iSEMic Microphone and Accessories Series is supply and signal voltage compatibility to iPhone*1, iPad*1 as well as other mobile devices including laptop computers and Phantom Powered Pro Audio Equipment. The superb functionality is provided by the space saving microphone built-in electronics.

The advantages of the new iSEMic microphone series are obvious. Mobile devices like iPad’s and iPhone’s are more and more used for controlling live sound mixers and PA Systems giving the FOH and system engineers the possibility of walking the venue while optimizing for sound and acoustics using special apps on mobile devices.

Back at the FOH place the same microphone can be used to service the PC or MAC computer by the use of an off-the-shelf USB interface and XLR cable.

With its mechanically robust design it is well suited for harsh environment use such as open air sound reinforcement measurements.
Its class 2 frequency response makes it predestined for room acoustics analysis including recording studios and home theaters. It can normally be used without the included freefield calibration data file for compensation. In this case take the individual calibration data as proof of its superb performance.

FEATURES

Excitation voltage 2.5V to 52Vdc , current limited
Powers from: iPhone, iPad, other mobile devices, laptop computers, Phantom Power, ICP/IEPE power.
Microphone sensitivity typ -52dB re 1V/pa (2,5mV @ 94dBspl)
Sensitivity optimized for mobile devices (e.g. iPad) not to clip.
Frequency range 20Hz…>20kHz
Temperaturedrift compensated for accurate SPL monitoring.
IEC 61672 class 2 frequency response
Standard (125dBspl)
Surge voltage protection
Calibration chart and freefield– & diffusefield calibration data files download ready.
Stainless steel body, Gold plated connectors
Microphone body dia. 1/4” (7 mm)
Microphone length 3,7” (94 mm)

iSEMic 725TR Measurement & recording microphone - AcousticShop

You need to emulate the source impedance of the microphone for that to be accurate. It may be easier and get better results to get a better USB record/replay adapter. Some of the first gen decent ones are cheap on eBay now. e.g. PreSonus Audiobox USB Digital Recording Interface NO RESERVE!!!!!!! 888365118888 | eBay Focusrite iTrack Solo USB Audio Recording Interface
M-AUDIO M-TRACK USB RECORDING INTERFACE | eBay

Sometimes its worth a few dollars to move up and not be at the mercy of inadequate tools.

The impedance of the iMM-6 is 200-Ohms. Would sticking a 150-Ohm resistor on the output of the frequency generator (50-Ohm output impedance) emulate that closely enough?

Thanks for the links, but those interfaces are rather large. The whole point of the iMM-6 is being able to connect it to a smartphone to have a compact measuring tool.

Can anyone recommend a USB audio CODEC with a better A/D bandwidth? Maybe I can DIY a small board.