Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Tube tester
Tube tester
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2013, 12:49 PM   #31
molekuul is offline molekuul  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

That's why good tube testes have an adjust knob for calibrating the tester to the line voltage.
Old 15th January 2013, 01:47 PM   #32
nickds1 is offline nickds1  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
In addition to the cal issue, I seriously doubt that more than a hand full of people selling tubes are using a variac to adjust the voltage to the tube tester. Running on high line (current line voltage is above what they were designed for), the heater voltage is too high, causing false readings.
The uTracer compensates for all that - has an ADC that reads the supply voltage so it gets its maths right on PWM etc... the screen & anode voltages are generated from on-board SMPS supplies, so are unaffected too.

Last edited by nickds1; 15th January 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:28 PM   #33
tubelectron is offline tubelectron  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nothing...and I mean nothing, substitutes sticking a tube in a circuit designed for that tube and seeing how it performs under actual operating and load conditions...especially when you have a known good tube to compare it against....
Oh... It seems that you've discovered hot water, indeed ! And when you have an Ampeg SVT, an Ashdown BTA-400 to service, with 6 to 8 6550 or KT88, your substitution trick can turn to a fireworks for a brand new set of these costy tubes. So you need a tube tester, and a good one, well-calibrated, even if it is a simple emission tester as my NRI-70 below, that I bought for cheap :

Tube tester

But yes, an uncalibrated Hickok 539B or C is nothing more than a nice toy... And most of them need a serious calibration job ! It would be more easy to calibrate and check if the Hickoks complied to the tube datasheet - like my Metrix 310CTR - instead of relying on an always questionable proprietary tube chart...

A+!

Tube testerHide this!Advertise here!