Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Tube tester
Tube tester
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Zibi is offline Zibi  Poland
diyAudio Member

۞۞JACMUSIC Tube tester collection
http://tone-lizard.com/Tube_Testers.html

Last edited by Zibi; 31st December 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 1st January 2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Leakstereo20 is offline Leakstereo20  Denmark
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvesm View Post
Hi,

Wich is perfectly true and means the the anode current MUST be held constant.
But the anode current will change when changing grid voltage (as for Gm measurement), so you must readjust the plate supply voltage to restore the same plate current.
It is the value of this "readjustment" wich is the Mu.

Yves.
Thank you for your answer Yves.
First thought was a question of "go or no go" tubes, because many of us has used or old tubes in stock. But things do develope and we want more.
I did write about keeping the plate constant, and this should have been current!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lve lover View Post
Why bother, I use a XY writer for that, and a 0-300v power supply
set the grid voltage, Pen down sweep anode voltage , Pen up set grid voltage.
it takes about 1 to 2 minutes

cheers, v4lve.
But v41ve, "Things comes to those who has patience" ...one step at a time

Happy new year
Old 2nd January 2013, 04:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Q View Post
Wonder if you guys have seen this?
The uTracer, a miniature Tube Curve Tracer / Tester.
It looks like a great tool and a fine measuring instrument for 215 Ä.

The intention was a very simple test setup for the most common E-tubes for autodidact electronic people like me . A simple test setup which could determine whether a used/old tube had 100% emission.
Another interesting point would be to estimate the remaining life-time of a tube?
Old 2nd January 2013, 08:39 PM   #14
tubelectron is offline tubelectron  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Here's what I use : Metrix 310CTR, Hickok 600, Knight 600A.

Tube tester

And these ones - when I will them delivered on mid-end January 2013 - after checking, possible maintenance and calibration : Hickok 752A, 539B+CA4.

Tube tester

Tube tester

If I need more precision, I built a bench test with my DIY HV, Bias and Heater variable DC regualted PSUs, Flukes FL87 III & V DMMs, and use an audio signal generator to make dynamic Gm measurements.

I hope that Zibi will give us more information about the fine Polish EPO508 Tube Tester...

A+!
Old 3rd January 2013, 10:21 AM   #15
molekuul is offline molekuul  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I have one, It is great, you can do some nice measurements
here are some pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0007_small.jpg (177.7 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0008_small.jpg (88.8 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg JAN-CNU 6SL7GT.jpg (33.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg 6L6 Reference Vs=250 I(Va) step Vgs.jpg (36.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelectron View Post
Hello,

Here's what I use : Metrix 310CTR, Hickok 600, Knight 600A.
And these ones - when I will them delivered on mid-end January 2013 - after checking, possible maintenance and calibration : Hickok 752A, 539B+CA4.
If I need more precision, I built a bench test with my DIY HV, Bias and Heater variable DC regualted PSUs, Flukes FL87 III & V DMMs, and use an audio signal generator to make dynamic Gm measurements.
I hope that Zibi will give us more information about the fine Polish EPO508 Tube Tester...
A+!
Chocked!! ...are all those tubetesters yours (collecting)?.....or do you renovate the testers for resale? Don't know Zibi's Polish EPO508 tube tester, or is it "Jacmusic's"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by molekuul View Post
here are some pictures
Hi,
The test instrument of yours, "The uTracer", really looks fine. Would you mind tell me the build price including the plastic mounting cabinet? Did you receive construction papers together with the "uTraser" PCB?

Regards Kim
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:33 PM   #17
molekuul is offline molekuul  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,
The test instrument of yours, "The uTracer", really looks fine. Would you mind tell me the build price including the plastic mounting cabinet? Did you receive construction papers together with the "uTraser" PCB?

Regards Kim
Hi Kim,

The uTracer is kit, it has the PCB and all components needed to build the PCB, including the construction manual. In the picture you can see what's in the kit
You can download the construction manual at the download section atThe uTracer, a miniature Tube Curve Tracer / Tester.
You can allready see how the PCB is build, and download the software
It uses an old Laptop powerunit to power. So no big expensive transformers needed.

The kit is 195 Euro.

On my tracer I use an USB to TTL convertor for the connection to my PC, My PC has no serial connection. The convertor is a kit from ELV more info here: Optisch getrenntes USB-Modul UO 100, Komplettbausatz | ELV-Elektronik
I use some old Tube sockets, a noval, a octal, an UX4 and an UX5 socket and some wire.
The thumbswitches are expensive and costed around 80 euro, but I connected them the same way as the selector of my AVO MK4 tester. This way I can test every noval and octal socket tube together with the AVO Valve data manual.
The casing is about 10 Euro, it's just a plastic case 20x30X10cm. I also have the ferrite beads on my wires between the sockets.

I think all together I spend 300 - 350 Euro.

For all information and examples of other builders you should look at: The uTracer, a miniature Tube Curve Tracer / Tester.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0001_small.jpg (115.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 4th January 2013, 02:01 PM   #18
tubelectron is offline tubelectron  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chocked!! ...are all those tubetesters yours (collecting)?.....or do you renovate the testers for resale?
Hi leakstereo20,

Yes, these instruments are mine, I service them and use them for servicing amps (guitar, bass and audio), troubleshooting problems tied to tubes... And yes, I must confess that I like that kind of instruments too !

Zibi is from Poland, so he may have more info about the Polish EPO508 tube tester. Or maybe he only took the pictures on jacsmusic's website also ?

A+!
Old 4th January 2013, 02:27 PM   #19
nickds1 is offline nickds1  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I built one of these at the end of last year - just started a thread about it in this forum earlier today - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes...3-utracer.html

Great bit of kit - having enormous fun with it - very well designed and good quality. Easily worth the money. The GUI is a "work-in-progress" but still good and improving all the time. As the h/w is completely controlled by the Windows s/w, functionality will only improve even more.

I have some very nice Hickok testers, including a pristine 539C, and this little beastie wipes the floor with it...

Cheers

Last edited by nickds1; 4th January 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:38 PM   #20
nickds1 is offline nickds1  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molekuul View Post
here are some pictures
I was chatting to Ronald about your implementation - those thumbwheel switches are normally only rated for 100mA switching and 500mA max @ 250V.

That means you may have a serious risk of a meltdown on the heater switches and and arcing on the screen & anode...

Though the thumbwheels look neat, I've decided to go the simple plug-and-socket route...

Tube testerHide this!Advertise here!