Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

This ADC isn't the best ADC, but best ones are not as much better, as we want. As I see, he have got a good lucky one. I have about the same result with Xonar Essence ST.
Xonar Essence has the CS5381. The same as my Xonar D2 has. This chip is one of the best.
What the residual harmonics you can measure with your Essence? What is the input signal level (dBFs) in the best linearity region of your card (when the residual harmonics become invisible)?

CS5381 in my ASUS STX II, oscillator Victor1k;
as Victor wrote, -130dB

Attachments

• ASUS STX II Victor1k.png
    ASUS STX II Victor1k.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Hi Folks,

reading the last few posts has made me start to question the capability of my sound card - M-audio Audiophile 192. Could anyone kindly give me some feedback on how this card stands up to the newer generation like the Asus cards that Viktor and other have mentioned? I only use it for measurement purposes but find that even with a differential input and output, it is still succeptable to hum pick up. How do the likes of the Asus D2 cope in this area?

Thanks and regards

Mike

Hi Folks,

reading the last few posts has made me start to question the capability of my sound card - M-audio Audiophile 192. Could anyone kindly give me some feedback on how this card stands up to the newer generation like the Asus cards that Viktor and other have mentioned? I only use it for measurement purposes but find that even with a differential input and output, it is still succeptable to hum pick up. How do the likes of the Asus D2 cope in this area?

Thanks and regards

Mike
Seems that the M-audio Audiophile 192 uses AKM 5385A. It is the same as in my E-MU 0202. The E-MU can do around -125dB at mid frequencies, and slightly worse at high. You can choose the best channel - may be a little difference. Also needs to discover the best level for the input signal. If the hum and noise is a problem, then may needs to modify the schematic at the ADC chip input, but this may be not so easy...

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually the fundamental seems to be at 0dB. Due to the text it is not easy to tell from the figure.
And the second harmonic is at around -130dB. This fits with the 0.000031% = -130.2dB. The THD is stated as 0.000046% = -126.745dB.

I see the fundamental spiking through the text (black spike) at +5. The 2nd is at -130 so the difference between fund and 2nd is -135 in my view, but I'm not going to war over it.

Jan