Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator

while that is an excellent achievement, the addition of the fourth harmonic with a 1k load is odd as this is was designed to have a better output section according to JohnC124 in his introduction to the chip here on the forum.

OPA1656: High-Performance CMOS Audio Op Amp

Cheers
Alan

I can only read the scales at max size. more contrast would be nice.

Last edited:
vicnic is there any way you cab brighten the text on the scale? I can never read it.
Next time I'll try. Now for the best view you can click on the picture, then mouse right click and choose "view image". Then click "+" (mouse left click).

while that is an excellent achievement, the addition of the fourth harmonic with a 1k load is odd as this is was designed to have a better output section according to JohnC124 in his introduction to the chip here on the forum.
The quiescent current of the OPA1656 is 3.9 mA per channel. The 1kohm load at 2.7V RMS means 3,8mA output peak current. Probably the output stage of the opamp leaves the linear region, and AB class starts to run. So higher order harmonics may appear.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Victor- I know how disorienting it can be to change software but Diana may be better suited to these tasks. The latest version will work with a notch filter and can isolate just the harmonics. DiAna The residual analysis can be really helpful as well. With your notch filter you should be able to see well into the noise.
And you get a lot of info in table form as well.

You need to use a 10x probe to prevent the probe capacitance from altering the circuit too much. Sometimes, the capacitance of the probe can stabilize the amplifier, and make you think it is not oscillating. Or, vice versa - it can de-stabilize an amplifier and cause it to start oscillating when it was not before. But, circuits that are this finicky should probably be considered "broken" anyway. If you place your hand close to the circuit and things change, you know it's marginally stable anyway.
What you can do if the pin looks "fine" with a 10x probe but has problems without the probe connected is turn up the the vertical gain and put the probe tip NEAR the pin (like 1/4 inch or a mm away). If it's oscillating or generating some funky RF, the tip will pick it up and you can see something on the screen increasing and decreasing in amplitude as the tip moves toward and away from the pin.
The add-invert differential probe trick is easy to do on an older Tektronix analog scope, and I can almost convince my Rigol to do that, but I bet it's easier than I imagine if I knew how to use the Rigol better. Your analog scope will probably be ideal for this use.
The menus and features on the Rigols are just ... I'll be nice and say not intuitive. I need to read through the whole manual someday (it's the hackerspace's scope I don't use often, if it were mine I'd have more incentive to read the manual). Maybe it's not too bad, but I can get a voltage measurement value to show up on the screen, but then I don't know how to make it go away...

Looking at TI site, is the OPA1612 better than the OPA1656?
http://www.ti.com/assets/js/compare...78typ,p1498,p1192,p2954,p1130,p233typ&lang=en
Somehow this confirms my knowledge that BJT distort less than FET.
I see the OPA1652 there, not the OPA1656.
The open loop gain is one of the most important things when the opamp runs in the inverted mode:
OPA1612 ... 130 dB
LME49720/LM4562... 140 dB
OPA1656... 150 dB
By the way, seems strange that the TI sells the LM4562 for around 1$ and less now:
https://www.ti.com/store/ti/en/p/product/?p=LM4562MAX/NOPB

By the way, seems strange that the TI sells the LM4562 for around 1$ and less now:
They moved it from the old obsoleted 6" wafer process to the new 8" wafer process. That move was what saved the chip from extinction. Perhaps the better economics of a larger wafer make it possible to lower the price?

In any case, while my tests are nothing more than anecdotal, I think the new 8" process results in a chip with less (i.e. no) popcorn, a behavior that would plague about 10-20% of the old LM4562 chips. I'm hoping this is a side benefit of the new 8" fab line. Again, I have tested only a few chips so far, but it seems that they are uniformly "clean" and free of the random popcorn that would plague the old product. If anyone else finds a current datecode LM4562 with popcorn problems, please post here - so far, I have found zero such chips.

Looking at TI site, is the OPA1612 better than the OPA1656? THD 0.000015% vs. THD 0.000050% http://www.ti.com/assets/js/compare...78typ,p1498,p1192,p2954,p1130,p233typ&lang=en Somehow this confirms my knowledge that BJT distort less than FET.

With modern op amps, THD+N, which is actually what is being specified and not THD, is completely dominated by noise. The actual distortion products of most of the op amp ICs that people consider to be "clean" are 30-40dB into the test circuit's noise floor.

So, THD+N specs are really just comparisons of the total noise of an amplifier in a specific impedance test jig. And, as you note, bipolar input amplifiers will measure better if the resistors surrounding the amplifier are low valued, since the entire amplifier will have less voltage noise, and thus result in a better THD+N number.

Actual distortion values as measured using an FFT to measure specific harmonics can paint a completely different story: noise and distortion are often unrelated, but THD+N with a modern clean amplifier is basically a noise measurement. Direct harmonics are the best way to compare distortion.

Notchfilter too?

I see the OPA1652 there, not the OPA1656.
The open loop gain is one of the most important things when the opamp runs in the inverted mode:
OPA1612 ... 130 dB
LME49720/LM4562... 140 dB
OPA1656... 150 dB
https://www.ti.com/store/ti/en/p/product/?p=LM4562MAX/NOPB
But keep in mind that the open loop gain can deviate downwards according to data sheet. And that would be worse than the LM4562 --> min: 134dB, typ:154dB

But keep in mind that the open loop gain can deviate downwards according to data sheet. And that would be worse than the LM4562 --> min: 134dB, typ:154dB
LME49720/LM4562... min 125 dB
OPA1656 ... min 134 dB

Of course, the OPA1656 is very good candidate for the buffer amp after the passive notch, needs to try. The OPA627 runs well in this place. I can see only very small distortion contribution at 10 kHz. Now I have also the discrete buffer which is better than OPA627 in terms of noise and distortion.