New Audio Analyser

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been studying the market for a sub $1000 audio analyzer (in the vein of APX515/dSCOPE style) and would like to gauge the level of interest and ask a couple of basic questions.

Q1. Do you need, would you like and would you pay extra from digital audio inputs/outputs (XLR/BNC/optical)?

Q2. If you had digital options, would you use logic level signals as well (MCLK/BCK/DATA/1.8v/2.5v/3v3 type stuff)?

Q3. What type of OS do you use (XP/Vista/7/MacOS, etc..), if your a Mac user, do you still have a PC running at least XP?

thanks,

You do not tell what you want to measure in audio.

I use a calibrated Behringer ECM8000 and an E-MU 0204 USB audio interface. My OS is XP and I run the Visual Analyzer and the free version of TrueRTA. I am thinking of upgrading to level 4 of the TrueRTA program.
I would love to have optical and S/PDIF, but that needs to wait.
So far, less than $250, not counting the aceessories. E

You do not tell what you want to measure in audio.

I use a calibrated Behringer ECM8000 and an E-MU 0204 USB audio interface. My OS is XP and I run the Visual Analyzer and the free version of TrueRTA. I am thinking of upgrading to level 4 of the TrueRTA program.
I would love to have optical and S/PDIF, but that needs to wait.
So far, less than $250, not counting the aceessories. E

Thanks for the response.

I built the prototypes as I needed an AP, but couldn't afford a new one and second-hand units are still pricey.

I considered using audio-interfaces, but they aren't designed with relay driven attenuators, high power buffers, low jitter clocks, low-noise amps, top-notch converters and they tend not to be flat if you go high-speed.

My unit would be a little expensive (even at $1000) if you are just using it as an interface to a mike for such things as speaker measurement.

I built the digital features into prototypes, but they would add to the cost of the base unit if included - so weighting the options (so to speak).

I've written (from scratch) my own Windows front end. It's in the AP2700/dSCOPE3 style rather than APX, with the ability to launch different instruments, graphs, plots etc...

And is currently written on the oldest PC I own (a Toshiba 2007 XP laptop), but works on Vista & 7

What is the current functionality? Any chance of some screenshots?

I'm tidying up the PC front-end (nice things like designing buttons, making the graphing look a prettier and working on some of the export data functions), I've also got some small hardware design issues to sort out.

Functionality - lots, most of the stuff you get with APX515/DSCOPE3 (except the higher end DSCOPE3 digital functions like jitter/eyepatterns), no FFT function in the v1 software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.