24Vac soldering iron on DC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi wakibaki,
I'm afraid you lost me there, but that's okay.

My earlier responses were to other members, not the OP.

-Chris

Edit:
You should try one of these soldering stations as well. Yours will fail at some point in time, and you may well enjoy using one of these. I will say that the control circuits in the Solomon are easily hacked to provide other functions that may (or may not) be handy. If nothing else, it would be an inexpensive spare (< $100 CDN).

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"24V RMS AC" gives exactly the same heating power as 24V of DC.

While the AC spends time at zero, it also peaks up to 33.9V.

Anyway if start/recup were an issue, the station designer could just throw higher voltage at it (or wind the heater to take more power at lower voltage), only being careful to cut-off before anything melts. (Besides the solder.)

Attachments

• 953Eb.gif
    953Eb.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 73
  • main-qimg-fec3a288d67e879eeeba8e3603520b7a.jpg
    main-qimg-fec3a288d67e879eeeba8e3603520b7a.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Is there some advantage to use DC over AC on the heating startup and recuperation? Dc has no zero cross, so much more energy is applied in less time.
Regards
Feeding the traditional Magnastats with DC destroys the switching contacts quickly due to arcing. On the other hand I feed one magnastat with the high frequent output of an electronic halogen transformer, secondary re-wound for 24V. Works like a charm at substantial less mass than the original xformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.