Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

My version of the G = 1000 low noise measurement amp (for Ikoflexer).
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2018, 10:03 AM   #471
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
Controlling the current source looks elegant, but I cannot (and would not like to) run an IF3601 at/near Idss, let alone 4 of them. That could easily be 1A, for one.

Large source resistors are impossible because of their thermal noise, so controlling the gate voltage is the only solution.
BTW, to lower the drain current, there’s no reason why you could not bias the gate(s) at a fixed negative bias, like you are doing in your beloved jfet based RF amps, and then keeping the drain CCS bias control loop.
Old 19th July 2018, 01:38 PM   #472
gerhard is offline gerhard  Germany
diyAudio Member

That could also make some unlucky JFET pairs work together.

One might use left & right outliers for the CS and cascode with the same Vgs when I look at the picture below. Extra bonus if you publish that on diy without a word about the selection. Just the circuit and "It sounds absolutely eargasmic!"

What 1/f corner did you see for these ON FET/BJT cascodes?
Attached Images
File Type: png 8pcs_IF3602.png (265.4 KB, 206 views)
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" "We don't demand solid facts! What we demand is a total absence of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Last edited by gerhard; 19th July 2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 19th July 2018, 02:46 PM   #473
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

100 something Hz for 8 x CPH05 each close to 15mA Idss (attached). Gain is 60dB.
Old 19th July 2018, 03:26 PM   #474
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

Was a tif file and the forum software silently dropped it, trying again as jpg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPH05N01.jpg (58.0 KB, 234 views)
Old 19th July 2018, 04:27 PM   #475
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

BTW, not my measurement, posted the noise data with author's permission.
Old 19th July 2018, 05:15 PM   #476
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waly View Post
BTW, to lower the drain current, there’s no reason why you could not bias the gate(s) at a fixed negative bias, like you are doing in your beloved jfet based RF amps, and then keeping the drain CCS bias control loop.
See Post #1 on this thread.
Old 19th July 2018, 05:30 PM   #477
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

I've only built myself a version with BF861 cascoded with individual bipolars. Aluminum milled case 12mm thick on all sides renders about 1.5nV of 50Hz harmonic noise (under 1nV @150Hz) in a VERY noise polluted lab.

My conclusion was that BF861's have lower flat noise compared to CPH05 (8 x BF861 @12mA Idss was consistently 0.28nV/rtHz) but have higher corner noise (about 400Hz).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1898.JPG (664.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 19th July 2018, 05:38 PM   #478
Waly is offline Waly
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
See Post #1 on this thread.

Not sure what you mean, I see only a DC bias feedback loop encompassing a photovoltaic SSR. My suggestion is to bias the gate(s) with a fixed negative voltage and use a DC bias feedback loop on the CCS load (schematic above). This arrangement would have a high enough PSRR to allow a simple 317/337 power supply (which is what I did). Using a simple resistive load (and no DC bias feedback loop) requires a very low noise power supply, or batteries as Gerhard is using.
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:01 AM   #479
poldaaudio is offline poldaaudio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
1A7 manual can be had here: http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/tek/1a7
The 1A7A here: TEKTRONIX 1A7A PLUGIN SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

The 1A7 does have resistors in parallel with inductors and paralleled tubes. The 1A7A has only resistors.

Right, exactly like I said in the first place. Thanks for the link.

My version of the G = 1000 low noise measurement amp (for Ikoflexer).-gridstop2-png

My version of the G = 1000 low noise measurement amp (for Ikoflexer).-gridstop-png
Attached Images
File Type: png gridstop.png (45.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: png gridstop2.png (16.3 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by poldaaudio; 2nd August 2018 at 08:15 AM.

My version of the G = 1000 low noise measurement amp (for Ikoflexer).Hide this!Advertise here!