Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2019, 06:11 AM   #891
MagicBus is offline MagicBus  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rax View Post
For instance, I feel my noise levels are correct (being around 120-140dB), but why is my fundamental at less than -20dB? Given the relative difference between the two of less than 80dB, does that mean my noise floor is actually at -80dB? Hm.
120-140dB should be the target point for a 24bit digital converter. But the real noise floor actually seems to be at -80dB and that's because the input preamps. Obviously, these are too noisy -too much gain? What I said in my previous post derives from a project I'm currently messing with. Soon I'll be able to post results, success or failure...
Old 20th July 2019, 08:44 AM   #892
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

What are the recommendations for sound cards currently available, USB or PCIe?

Is there any reason PCIe sound cards would be preferred to USB?
One reason I find the PCIe appealing is that I have enough "boxes" around my PC workstation and putting a card inside won't add to the clutter. Although, the options seem limited.

Here are a few I've found within my price range that could work:
1) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2) eSI MAYA44 eX (PCIe)
3) Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD

Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 10:42 AM   #893
diyAudio Member

Focusrite has known issues with windows drivers ( OK on MAC). Other than that seems to be be the first choice out there. I don't know about ESI but is a highly respected brand. I can tell about UMC202HD. In stock form is not suitable for the job, you will be disappointed. But with a few tweaks it enters Focusrite territory. I'm "working" on it... However, it has to be said that it is for hard core DIYers!
Old 20th July 2019, 06:06 PM   #894
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your insight. That rules out the Behringer for me.
I typically use Windows but have a MAC from work so maybe the Focusrite could still work for me. What are the issues with the drivers? How does it impact measurements?
Is there a different card that is recommended for Windows under $200 ?
Old 21st July 2019, 02:22 AM   #895
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBus View Post
Focusrite has known issues with windows drivers ( OK on MAC). Other than that seems to be be the first choice out there. I don't know about ESI but is a highly respected brand. I can tell about UMC202HD. In stock form is not suitable for the job, you will be disappointed. But with a few tweaks it enters Focusrite territory. I'm "working" on it... However, it has to be said that it is for hard core DIYers!
Would you be able to start a separate thread and expand on the tweaks for the UMC202HD thou refer to?

What's the back story? Intrigued, so I'd appreciate further detail. Thanks.
Old 21st July 2019, 10:19 AM   #896
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
Thanks for your insight. That rules out the Behringer for me.
I typically use Windows but have a MAC from work so maybe the Focusrite could still work for me. What are the issues with the drivers? How does it impact measurements? Is there a different card that is recommended for Windows under $200 ?
No personal experience with Focusrite but it is reported to freeze in the middle of the procedure and need to restart. I don't have any recommendations at the moment as I myself trying to find something. Far from $200, I've set the limit to $100 that's why I put my hands on a UMC202HD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromo View Post
Would you be able to start a separate thread and expand on the tweaks for the UMC202HD thou refer to?

What's the back story? Intrigued, so I'd appreciate further detail. Thanks.
I've playing with this in my limited spare time. First findings are encouraging. I'll post the story for sure, I just need some time. Meanwhile here is a preliminary stage to help you decide if you are willing to go into something like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (107.0 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Direct Input.JPG (176.2 KB, 204 views)
Old 21st July 2019, 10:34 AM   #897
diyAudio Member

Wow MagicBus, looks like you gutted that thing. I'll look out for follow up pays when you're ready.
Old 22nd July 2019, 03:23 PM   #898
bikinpunk is offline bikinpunk  United States
diyAudio Member

I, too, have a UMC202HD. I use this for speaker/room measurements and was looking at options for a secondary sound card that would be relegated solely to electronics measurements (if for no other reason than for me not to have to remember where the knobs are set for each application as I change the from speaker to electronics measurements). Most likely I'll purchase the focusrite 2i2. But, having said that, I'd still be curious to know what your end results and how you got there are, MagicBus.
Old 31st July 2019, 08:56 PM   #899
diyAudio Member

Trying to debug an issue with my recently built interface.
Unit is assembled and seems to be working (generally).
I went through both calibrations.

The issue I have is with the digital meter. In the 2V range, it seems to be OL above 1V.
For example, if I have a reading of 1.5V in the 20V range, rotating the knob to the 2V shows "1. V"

Any ideas?
Old 31st July 2019, 10:35 PM   #900
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
Trying to debug an issue with my recently built interface.
Unit is assembled and seems to be working (generally).
I went through both calibrations.

The issue I have is with the digital meter. In the 2V range, it seems to be OL above 1V.
For example, if I have a reading of 1.5V in the 20V range, rotating the knob to the 2V shows "1. V"

Any ideas?
I've got an auto-ranging DMM - pretty cheap (2nd DMM an option?). No experience with your issue.

Test & Measurement interface for SoundcardHide this!Advertise here!