Test & Measurement interface for Soundcard

Is a plan needed to keep all the pieces parts including that $61.00 30-pin connector neat and clean in a row in the face plate? Not too tall not too short, just right!

Nothing to worry about! No special assembly needed. The header connector mounts flush on the board as a normal component does. The DPM should line up so that the pins go in the upper row of holes, and be centered in the faceplate.

Pete

Without the ICs installed, and the switcher pulls 77mA. I plugged in the 74HC86 and the OPA2134A and it maxed out my 100mA 5V wall-Wort. So I suspect it will take 150-200mA total when operating. If you bypass the switcher and run batteries, you should be able to total the typical current draw for each opamp, LineDriver, etc, add 30% and you should be close. Probably in the order of 30ma total.

Probably in the order of 30ma total.

That should be close for the quiescent current in the ICs. You have to add any power delivered from the GEN OUT or to the soundcard, and there is an additional 15mA being burned in the output clipper stage - if you want to run on batteries you can change R29 and R30 to something bigger, say 10k, to drop this current - it will have a small effect on the generator THD at higher levels. Maybe another 1-2mA are burned in the meter circuit.

So all told the way it sits the total draw is about 50mA. Change the resistors and you'll be at about 36mA.

I think everything will still be happy at +/-18V.

Pete

newark has most of the items that mouser is out of, also the red lion panel meter is cheaper than digikey ($51.00)with only a 7 day lead time . correct me if I'm wrong but I think this connector( SAMTEC SSW-115-02-G-D-RA )will work and they stock it also , here is what newark has

14M6837 GRAYHILL
71BDF30-01-2-AJN Description: Rotary Switch

92F8803 ANALOG DEVICES
AD536AJQ Description: RMS to DC Converter (RMS/DC) IC

29M8716 RED LION
MDMV0000 Description: Panel Mount w/Reflecti

93K7535 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS
DRV134PA Description: Audio Line Drivers;

88K1115 TEXAS INSTRUMENTS
INA134PA Description: Line Receiver IC; Device Type Differential Line Receiver Driver

87K4651 MURATA POWER SOLUTIONS
NDTD0515C 1 Description: DC/DC Converter

11P9560 SAMTEC
SSW-115-02-G-D-RA Description: Board-to-Board Connector
65K7785 SWITCHCRAFT
RAPC712X 1 1 Each Ready

Last edited:
Sorry, meant AD536. I used the AD737 and temp compensated it in a densitometer circuit. The accuracy of the AD737 is pretty good over a 60dB range which is important in densitometry.

The Linear Tech true-rms converters are almost as accurate as the thermopile RMS converters used for noise measurement, and the bandwidth is awfully good, way bigger than a sound card will afford. Unfortunately they are TSSOP.

The Linear Tech true-rms converters are almost as accurate as the thermopile RMS converters used for noise measurement, and the bandwidth is awfully good, way bigger than a sound card will afford. Unfortunately they are TSSOP.

Yup, that was my first choice, but the package killed it. It's getting really, really hard to design anything with all THM parts these days. And I hate to do anything intended for DIY with SMT, especially fine pitch. PowerPad and BGA packages are even harder to do at home.

Personally, I've gotten to the age that I can only do sub-50-mil hand soldering under a microscope. My eyes get worse and the parts get smaller every day!

Pete

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yup, that was my first choice, but the package killed it. It's getting really, really hard to design anything with all THM parts these days. And I hate to do anything intended for DIY with SMT, especially fine pitch. PowerPad and BGA packages are even harder to do at home.

Personally, I've gotten to the age that I can only do sub-50-mil hand soldering under a microscope. My eyes get worse and the parts get smaller every day!

Pete

I do a lot of diy smd at home at try not to go smaller than tssop and 0603/0805 passives. I can particularly relate to that last comment! :D

My eyes get worse and the parts get smaller every day!.....I can particularly relate to that last comment!

My eyes have gotten considerably worse in the past 10 years, but I use a good microscope to solder. My problem is that my hands shake a bit, and the peak to peak amplitude at the ends of the tweezers is greater than the size of the parts. Never the less I spent my morning soldering 0603's, tsops and sot23's on to a board. It was a board of my own design which is laid out with my abilities in mind. I don't use 0402's and I refuse to believe that the smaller stuff even exists. Yes there are 0201's and even 01005's. That is a resistor or capacitor that is .010 inch by .005 inch!

I have always wondered why a 20 pound 100 watt mobile radio that goes in the trunk of a cop car is full of 0402's so I asked one of our sourcing guys. It seems that component prices are driven by component volume, and in the RF world all of the volume is in cell phones. So the 0402's and 0201's are the lowest cost parts.

It seems that component prices are driven by component volume, and in the RF world all of the volume is in cell phones. So the 0402's and 0201's are the lowest cost parts.

Funny... now that I'm in the semiconductor industry I've learned that the physical size of the part has a huge impact on cost. On really simple parts - say, a standard logic IC - the IC package costs more than the silicon inside. In the case of a really big package (like a DIP) the package might cost 10x the chip inside. So there's lots of incentive to "get small".

But we digress...

Pete

We use stereo scopes at work in the smt station. Not only do I find the increasingly small parts difficult (0402 is the smallest I've used so far), but I find that it takes more and more light for me to be able to see what I'm doing.

As a ref point, 30AWG wire wrap wire is used for "Blue Wires". The 30AWG wire is larger than the IC lead width, and larger than the spacing between the leads. It is getting pretty difficult to tack wires on for logic analyzers.

I like tubes.

Hey TheGimp,
I like tubes too. It is funny odd that we all are building this opamp digital processing computer aided damn thing to measure the performance of tube circuits. Speaking of soldering small stuff there is a good tutorial over at sparkfun.com. Sparkfun has some other cool stuff for us DIY folks. As long as we are speaking about the intricate stuff we do at work for my night job I teach trade classes that include soldering and welding the process piping that goes into clean rooms.
DT
It is all just for fun!