• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Elektor- High-End-Preamp - PGA2311

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
a friend of mine is building the elektor preamp - as designed by Ben Hinrichs.

I need to know what LCD to use. the one we got is not pin compatible. if somebody that actually build the preamp can help out it will be greatly appreciated

the only discription we got from elektor is:
LCD, 2x16 characters with backlight

Hi,

I've read the Elektor article. Those displays are based on the Hitachi 44780 controller, pretty standard devices. Elektor uses them all the way, because they are easy to interface to about every microcontroller you can get.

Take a look here: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/doc/lcd/ (for example).

Ciao,
Sebastian

PS: Have you got all issues of the article series? I think the display is described in the technical construction section of the project.

Hi Rudi,

rudi said:
I have the two part article from Elektor in PDF format.

I only have the first part. :(

do you perhaps have a partnumber

There are many manufacturers of such display units.

What part number you're looking for depends on where you want to order, which depends on where you live, which you didn't say yet (souht africa?). ;)

I've looked up some ways to order around *my* corner, just to get you started: Segor and Conrad have them (search for "lcd 2x16").

You want the 'parallel' type with 8bit data bus (of which you only need 4) and separate supply and contrast setting pins arranged in a single row connector. Here is an example datasheet in German and English, compare this to the Elektor schematic.

I'm sure you can get this around *your* corner, too. ;)

Good luck,
Sebastian.

I'm just completing this project and Elektor mention at the end of the article adding small RC networks on the inputs to suppress induced RF noise on the cables. Has anyone added these and what values did you use?

I used an Optrex 20x2 blue character transmissive display. Looks pretty cool...just check the pinout for the one you use and match with the PCB pinout...shouldn't have any problem getting virtually any to work
Thanks!

Here are some pics of my finished preamp;

Attachments

• Pre-fronton.jpg
    Pre-fronton.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • Pre-back.jpg
    Pre-back.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,308
  • Pre-inside.jpg
    Pre-inside.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Pre-inside2.jpg
    Pre-inside2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,282
The only differences are I've used 3 power supply boards instead of 2 - 1 powers the relay boards (through a 5v regulator attached to the output of the board), 2 relay boards in parallel so I can switch the signal and ground lines of 8 inputs, a power on board (my design) which enables me to use a momentary switch on the front panel as the power switch, and the display is an Optrex 20x2 blue character (haven't changed the code). I also put 100 ohm resistors on the output and small RC on the input to the main board as per Elektor's final comments. I fitted a metal screen between the power supply boards and the pre-amp boards for extra shielding (again as Elektor suggested).

So the preamp is the same design as the original, just with a couple of minor tweaks of supporting boards.

Sound wise I found it very impressive, although I only listened for a couple of hours as I built it for my mother-in-law. She has been listening non-stop for the past couple of days and loves it. I've posted some pics in the Solid State pics post of this and an Aussie Amplifier nxV200 amp I built as its matching mate.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.