Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Elektor News and offers from Elektor Magazine

Old 24th April 2021, 01:31 PM   #51
johnego is offline johnego  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanastis View Post
I use a clone of the great Marantz 7C revision 7 tube line preamplifier made by myself and it sounds great!
I built the Marantz 20 years ago. I didn't like the sound at all. Still have it somewhere stuffed with fancy riken gold and black gates. There were many single stage mu-follower circuits on the web that sound better.
Old 25th April 2021, 03:41 PM   #52
metanastis is offline metanastis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Mine has just an outstanding performance using NOS american tubes .It uses1 and half tubes per channel. I have copied many tube preamps like Audio Note, Cary, Audio Reseach etc. Marantz 7c is my best so far!

Last edited by metanastis; 25th April 2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 26th April 2021, 07:35 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metanastis View Post
Mine has just an outstanding performance using NOS american tubes .It uses1 and half tubes per channel. I have copied many tube preamps like Audio Note, Cary, Audio Reseach etc. Marantz 7c is my best so far!
Yes, many liked the 7C but I didn't. I guess because my speaker was not suitable with tube stuffs. Or I just don't like any apparent extra noise added by any extra stages... Or I just don't like distortion... (but I have one tube stage that I like, after a DAC)
Old 9th May 2021, 12:24 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Default AXL Amp Review

AXL is an old amp, almost as old as Crescendo. But it took me time to try the AXL because many people said that it is comparable to the (mini) Crescendo. But now I know that it is to my taste better than the Crescendo, and especially when biased high, it is absolutely better.

AXL is better than I expected, but cannot compete with my other amps.

So I modified the AXL using all small signal transistor to copy the idea from NRDS amp by J.M Plantefeve who "modified" the Crescendo also using small signal transistors. The feedback return point is changed as used by common amps and there are many other modifications.

I attached the FFT of the AXL, my AXL mod and NRDS. I believe that most of the amplifiers sound quality can be seen from simulation. And from simulation, most of the quality can be seen from FFT.

The NRDS distortion is higher but it is in the style of the Hiraga super class-A that even though high distortion but many people like it and consider it as one of the best sounding amplifier. I have another amp that is better than the NRDS and have the same distortion spectrum but like the Hiraga, the bias is twice as high (and when I reduce the bias to 1.1A it is not as good as the NRDS).

My AXL mod doesn't look special in the FFT (even though it is better than the original) but it has something else that cannot be seen from the FFT.

Note: No simulation file will be posted.
Attached Images
File Type: png AXL.png (49.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 11th June 2021, 11:27 PM   #55
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Not that i like to criticise but i simulated extensively Elektor s Crescendo and most of its later iterations including the AXL and frankly that s quite poorly implemented designs.

The crescendo particularly, where they explain that they use some kind of shunt compensation by the virtue of the input capacitance of the lateral fets loading the "VAS", but it simply cant work due to the high standing current of the driving stage, hence an hasardous stability...

Also the AXL is an inverting amp and contrary to what is generaly thought this has an importance and require to invert the speakers terminals, that is, to connect the plus of the speakers to the the amp s ground.
  Reply to this post

Elektor AXL V2 with Lateral MOSFET'sHide this!Advertise here!