• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Any Idea or help with this Amp ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I was doing some research and came across this circuit for a IGBT based amp !

I thought to post it here and ask for some suggestions and opinions !! Am planning to build a 100 -150 W (4/8 R) and need some suggestions !!

I have already started Quasi's Nmos Bi-Polor version ! and want to build this as a second amp ! have looked at his Nmos200 (still in the series consideration ),but it does not have a protection circuit added (DC detect or whatever you want to call it),so are most of others like Sysmasysm,DX HRII,ST151 etc etc !

Also after discussing a bit on the amp's sound with Quasi (in his thread) I've now made to believe that Bi-Polor sounds better then Mosfet ! So this also the reason for me to select this !

This is a old elektor design and seems to be very very good since its by the famous Tony Giesberts.

So guys please share your thoughts on this !!

This circuit was on a public domain and was not having any copyright or any warning as to its reproduction

So please let me know if I've violated any rules that Am not aware of ! I don't want to repeat the same thing thats being scrutinised by mods in other threads !!

Again the Circuit design and etc is,if copyrighted then belong to the them and full credit goes to them !

I have no way of contacting them as the site in this page thats linked to the main (or atleast what I think is main) leads to a German or Dutch lang site, which I have no idea and no means to communicate to ask the permission ! So inspite all my explanations if someone has a problem I cannot help it !!

Hoping to see some responses soon !

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Are you determined to use IGBT's. They are peculiar devices, never seen much on them applicable to audio. They are a bit like a high voltage BJT but like a MOSFET to drive. The gate/base resistor is needed for stability just like a MOSFET but it also determines the "short circuit" current of the device.
They were more for switching applications really, audio wise you can do much better I think.

Noway !

Hi,

Mooly thanks for the reply ! But I think I've mentioned the reason for choosing this design ! May it has gone without your notice !;) !

So anyway no worries, I have no fixation to use these devices ! and absolutely does not want to use something which will not serve the purpose !

So again here's why I chose this !

1.Simple to build (both in terms of circuit design and implementation on the PCB)
2.Small PCB (which most essential as this is a second amp !! the main is as already said Quasi's Nmos Bi-Polor which I've already started to build !)
3.Had the protection circuit which is again a must !
4.As I've learnt in the past days of exchanging idea's on the quasi's thread,The Bi-Polor tends to be better for sound quality then Mos
5.Last but most certainly not the least the cost !!

So based on the above points and also based on the previous posts, I request you and others to recommend a suitable amp !!

Thanks a lot again !

Regards.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi,
Looked at your profile :) If audio is your life, and do you mean music by that as well -- the two are not always perhaps the same -- I have to say try something like my MOSFET amp, which you have probably seen on this forum.
It does use Lateral FET's ( would that alone rule it out ? ).
It is small, it's very stable, I would say it's easy to build -- no oddball parts, but it does sound amazing, better than any commercial amp I have heard.
I use it with a Micromega Stage 2 CD player and B&W 703's and for sheer musicallity nothing I have heard has come close.
Adding DC protection and a delay is easy and essential really on any DC coupled design.
Regards Karl

Have a read at post #107
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119151&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=6

Instead of providing links I suggest to search in Google for the following phrase: "giesberts amp site:diyaudio.com". Giesberts is the name of the author of the amp. You may also look for "Elektor amp" but this one will return much more results (also for many other amps published in Elektor).

Mark

obviously, somebody designed and built it, so it must work. my question about it is whether the output devices have a problem with gain droop like bipolars do. these IGBTs in particular are designed as fast switching devices, so not a lot of thought was given to making them particularly linear.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
I built this amp maybe 10 years back, and Im afraid to say that it has some goblins. Difficult to stabilise but it works fine once done. As for the sound, its good, there is something that sounds very right using IGBTs and its mabey its speed. Anyway i compensated it rather with small miller around the vas and some phase lead which turned it into a much better sounding amp.

Lumba Ogir said:
homemodder,
maybe your taste was modestly refined those days...

think homemodder has good taste
= similar taste as mine
for audio amplifiers
... at least i have encountered you, homemodder
in several topics already, so maybe we are interested in partly same stuff
:)

regading use of IGBT, Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors
i once asked :cool: Nelson Pass :cool: about those IGBT
if he would use them

his answer was:
>>>> they can be used for audio
but will not outperform neither MOSFET or BIPOLARS
... and what I can see, Nelson Pass has not published any IGBT Amp

The idea of IGBT
is to have the easy drive (lower current) of MOSFET
and at same time have low saturation voltage (voltage drop out across C-E at high current)
of bipolar power transistors

now, there are not many types of IGBT devices easily available for ordinary customers
as been pointed to in this topic already
this type of transistors has not been often used for audio
most probably because of the fact:

> there has not been any such made targetted for Audio use
> mainly, like for IRF HEXFET,
> IGBT has been made for high Current fast Switching purposes

... like for SMPS, Switching Mode Power Supply
here is where we can preferably use them
= lower power losses
= higher efficiency
<<<<<< LINEUP AUDIO LAB - not any smps circuits >>>>>>

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
John Linsley Hood I believe did some consultancy work on behalf of Toshiba regarding IGBT's for audio about 15 years ago. There is a Toshiba application note floating around somewhere - can't remember the number.
I think the fact we have never seen them in any designs say's it all really.

Hi,

I was doing some research and came across this circuit for a IGBT based amp !

It sounds from the responses so far that there isn't going to be much help available since this device is unusual and unpopular. If you really want to try it out then I would encourage you to go and try it by building a simple amplifier on a test board. You could check out the Zen amplifier by Nelson Pass and modify it to use a single IGBT in the output.

IF you can't find any IGBTs you could fake your own device by using a small signal MOSFET to drive a power Bipolar in a complimentary feedback pair (CFP) arrangement - also called sziklai arrangement.

If you built a Zen amplifier like this you would replace the lower output FET with the CFP. The input would drive the gate of the small signal FET, it's source would go to ground and the drain would connect to the base of the power BJT. The collector of the BJT would also go to ground and it's emitter to the constant current source / output. You would connect a resistor from the emitter of the BJT to the drain of the small signal FET - not sure what value would be best as it depends on the devices you choose.

You will learn a lot and possibly find yourself addicted to amplifier building !

PCB for DX HRII Audio Amplifier!?

I have already started Quasi's Nmos Bi-Polor version ! and want to build this as a second amp ! have looked at his Nmos200 (still in the series consideration ),but it does not have a protection circuit added (DC detect or whatever you want to call it),so are most of others like Sysmasysm,DX HRII,ST151 etc etc !

Hello!:)
I need a PCB for audio amplifiers Dx HRII. If someone is made shall be placed on this web site!
Thank you in advance!:(

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.