Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #181
EagleWings123 is offline EagleWings123  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
Great detective work and plan EagleWings, I look forward to your results. I think your approach - and the potential shortcomings highlighted - are all spot on.
So to TLDR the last few pages, maybe I should just post a wishlist for my ideal Elekit, as a dedicated amp for normal headphones - that is, anything that is not the K1000, HE-6 or similar phones that would happily sit directly on the speaker taps.
  • Appropriate gain for headphones; 3-5x voltage gain or +9-14dB (deafening with a 2VRMS source)
  • Low noise far more important than maximum power, (1-2W is deafening for normal phones)
  • As low Zout as possible, definitely aim for less than 5R, with no series resistor.
  • Either a second higher Zout transformer tap, or a selector switch to add different series resistance for high Z phones.
  • And hell, while I'm wish-listing, room to fit the big boy TKD 2CP2511 pot rather than just the 2CP601. Might as well go all in!

I'd be *really* surprised if there wasn't a market for a dedicated Elekit headphone system like this. Bottlehead does great business with dedicated headphone amp kits, and there is plenty of demand for Eddie Current and Donald North 2A3 and 300B headphone amps. And obviously a lot of interest in Elekit's super-professional-looking casing and PCB approach.
Yea, those are more or less of what I would like as well. I would love a custom iron with 8, 32 and 100 ohm secondaries. Finding a good iron maker to make such an iron would be the biggest challenge, as most of the good iron makers are not interested in making custom headphone iron.

Elekit is still not that popular among the headphone crowd. But if Elekit can make a headphone version of the 8900 by making it 2A3 only and lowering the gain and using a different transformer, it might gain some traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Why don’t you try connect directly from OTs ? R220 or R221 (120R) and R120/121 depend on which one you want to aim for. The Hi-Z is 8Ohm and Low-Z is 5 Ohm. That is if you want to use the NFB networks, and if you don’t, tap it right at CN202-102 terminal 3/4

The low Z is already 5 ohms for standard, I don’t know about the Lundahl options
Yep, connecting directly to the secondary of the OPT by using the VH connectors was my original plan. But I plan on driving both headphones and speakers from the 8900. Which is why I went with the 'internal headphone board without the resistor network' route.

Last edited by EagleWings123; Yesterday at 07:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM   #182
Whitigir is offline Whitigir
diyAudio Member

You cAn definitely drive both speakers and headphones by tapping directly at that R120/220. It depends on which one you plugged in.

***oh! You meant you do not want to use additional headphones socket.****

I am very happy with the TU-8900 with Hd800s and regardless of those said resistors. I will definitely keep an eye on the modifications for it though

Last edited by Whitigir; Yesterday at 10:01 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Yep, tapping at R120 would indeed be the shortest path to the headphone. But if I wanted to listen to headphones, I’d have to unplug the speakers and vice versa. Whereas, if I use the amp’s headphone socket, I can simply leave the speakers plugged in at all times and I can plug-in my headphones, when I want to use headphones and it would cut the output to speakers.

Another point I must add is, my DAC has a very good volume control. Which is also one of the reasons I didn’t mind removing the resistors from the headphone board, as I’ll have some flexibility to attenuate the signal from the source, so that I have enough headroom to play with on the amp’s volume control. Or I would simply max out the volume pot on the amp and use my DAC’s volume control.

Thank you, that is good to know and re-assuring. Btw, which jumper position are you using for your HD800S?
Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM   #184
diyAudio Member

I see your point now. I never thought about using 8900 for speakers lol!!!

I am using Low gain on the HD800S. Regardless of the criticisms about the resistors, I have never heard the HD800S this way. The greatest soundstage, dynamic, details, controls, textures, finesses and bass quality. The performances see another boost with NFB enabled and WE300B tubes. I am not even pass 70 hours yet. Still a while to go for burn in, but there has not been any moment that I haven’t appreciated this TU8900 at all

If anyone wanted and desired different output transformers, perhaps that can be done with Victor helps ? But then again, I am using Lundahl 2785B and as mentioned above. I have never heard my 800s being this good
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #185
diyAudio Member

Oh wait, either way, in order to use the speakers, you unplug the phones anyways. So by tapping at R220/120, you just do the same. However, you skip out the switch plug at the jacks for even more integrity
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #186
diyAudio Member

Nice. Do you prefer the current system over the Stax system you had a few years back?
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Oh wait, either way, in order to use the speakers, you unplug the phones anyways. So by tapping at R220/120, you just do the same. However, you skip out the switch plug at the jacks for even more integrity
If I tap at R120, I can keep only the speakers or the headphones connected to the amp at any point in time. Meaning, if I have to run my headphones, I’d have to unplug the speakers. With the internal headphone jack, I can leave the spekaers connected to the amp all the time. The only thing I will be plugging and unplugging is the headphone.

Last edited by EagleWings123; Yesterday at 03:38 PM.
  Reply to this post

ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300BHide this!Advertise here!