Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #151
Beefy is offline Beefy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobuzz View Post
One could make the case that the 8900 is 8 amps in 1 unit. The unique combinations of:

headphone amp/speaker amp
I mean, I see the appeal of the dual-purpose... but if I had a vote for a new Elekit product, it would be something dedicated for headphones. The way this amp puts resistors on the headphone output for attenuation just seems a little clunky.

Something designed for the lowest possible noise floor instead of power, and choosing a transformer that gives headphone-appropriate gain levels and a properly low output impedance? Man, I'd be all in. Think DNA Stratus or Stellaris as what you could do with a 2A3 tube and transformers specifically designed for headphone loads.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #152
Whitigir is online now Whitigir
diyAudio Member

I donít see anything wrong with resistors attenuations with tube and output transformers for headphones ?
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #153
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
I donít see anything wrong with resistors attenuations with tube and output transformers for headphones ?
It might work fine for high impedance phones. But resistors on the output increase output impedance unnecessarily, and reduces damping factor needed for sensitive low impedance phones.

I'd much rather a headphone amp with an appropriate gain that doesn't need to be attenuated, and output transformers optimised for the load.
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #154
diyAudio Member

I meant don’t transformers impedance scales automatically ? Resistors are just to attenuates
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #155
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B
Resistor attenuation at the output wastes sensitivity, power and headroom, and increases distortion at the same volume compared to an impedance optimized OPT.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Idk, I have a full blessing with HD800S. Loving the amp by miles . After all , it is the ears that decides
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
Idk, I have a full blessing with HD800S. Loving the amp by miles . After all , it is the ears that decides
Well yeah, high impedance phones, not that big a deal.

Although I'd still argue that for high impedance phones, OTL without series attenuation make more sense than a speaker transformer amp with series attenuation.

I'm not tring to poop on anything, just pointing out that a jack of all trades isn't always the best solution. I think a dedicated headphone design could be far better for headphones.
  Reply to this post

ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300BHide this!Advertise here!