Elekit TU-8500 issue

hi everyone,

My TU-8500 has been playing regularly for 6 months now but the past week I have encountered an intermittent issue. It will suddenly stop and the LED will go blinking similar to the power up sequence. It's like restarting suddenly and will play normally again.

I've checked the solder joints around the Unit 4 area, tighten the binding screw attaching it to the main board, still the same issue.

Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
for a first time build, silver solder is harder to manage. My grandmother taught me to solder 40 years ago and have been doing it awhile, point being, I have a hard time with silver solder. Some folks think its easy, me it is my downfall. Also, silver solder is harder than the standard, meaning it generally takes longer, more heat. also, it will dry differently, meaning not super shiny. take your time and go slower and set your heat a bit higher if you need to do it faster.

rayma, as soon as I saw your post I knew I missed on something so basic :D changed the power strip this morning and problem solved. A classic case of overthinking on my part :eek:

I checked each socket on the said power strip and the slot where the TU-8500 was faulty hence the dropouts.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

Check the AC power line for dropouts when this happens.

vkung, changing the pair of tubes was the first thinng I did. as mentioned above, it was the faulty power strip and everything's working fine now :)

Installed now is a pair of Brimar 6060 Yellow T. sounds exquisite with the TU-8500. it's worth a try ;)

Do you have another pair of tube set to test TU-8500?

Attachments

• Brimar_6060_YellowT_2.jpg
    Brimar_6060_YellowT_2.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 227
Hi. I don't know where the silver solder reference came from as I clearly didn't mention it in my original post. Is your response really for me? By the way, I totally agree with you that silver solder is a bit tricky to work with.

I don't have 40yrs experience on building electronics but this is not my first diy project. In a way you are correct, this is my first tube device build. Attached is a photo of my system, all diy except for the TV and DAC. still gaining experience and knowledge along the way ;)

for a first time build, silver solder is harder to manage. My grandmother taught me to solder 40 years ago and have been doing it awhile, point being, I have a hard time with silver solder. Some folks think its easy, me it is my downfall. Also, silver solder is harder than the standard, meaning it generally takes longer, more heat. also, it will dry differently, meaning not super shiny. take your time and go slower and set your heat a bit higher if you need to do it faster.

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 232
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the compliment.

From far right of the rack: Fanless PC running Daphile, next to it is the Denafrips Ares II DAC, then the Elekit TU-8500, at the center on it's own stand is the F5 power amp.

Far left of the rack is DCB1 preamp, next to it is diy dual mono AK4497 DAC. Speakers are Devore Orangutan clone. there's also a rack on the right, out of the picture where other diy stuff are placed.

Hi. I don't know where the silver solder reference came from as I clearly didn't mention it in my original post. Is your response really for me? By the way, I totally agree with you that silver solder is a bit tricky to work with.

I don't have 40yrs experience on building electronics but this is not my first diy project. In a way you are correct, this is my first tube device build. Attached is a photo of my system, all diy except for the TV and DAC. still gaining experience and knowledge along the way ;)

Hi a3cervo,
I could have sworn I read Cardas Silver...please ignore my comment. 40 years of solder experience...HAH, no that was me running around the basement using my grandmother's soldering to burn images into wood. When discovered, I spent the rest of the afternoon making solder joints to her specifications. She worked at Bendix putting together vacuum tubes before moving into circuitry.

BTW really nice setup! my first project was a Heath TV kit. my father 'let me' be the resistor tester...add the colours, get a number and then use the voltmeter to check the values, great fun!. I hated resistors for a long time.

Great set up. Thanks for posting. Do you mind sharing some information on the Devore clone? I've been searching for one. Thanks