Elekit TU-8600 capacitor upgrade

OMG, I finally got around to building the Elekit TU-8600 kit I bought about two years ago. I'm new to DIY audio but have been a HAM Amateur Extra for eight years and have made quite a few radio kits so I thought I'd be ready to build this Elekit. Before I started I found this forum and noticed that other DIYers were upgrading the coupling caps. It seemed logical to upgrade the caps during the initial assembly.

I saw post by Hmavv from June that recommended the Vcap Odam over the MCap Supreme EVO SilverGoldOil. I don't really know what I'm doing with DIYaudio so I sent off for a set of the Vcaps. They are really cute little bombs.

Anyway, when I opened the TU-8600 box I discovered that I already had a set of the Mcaps. I bought it from Victor and ordered it with the upgraded caps, resistors, and Lundahl transformers.

So now what?

I have two sets of apparently excellent upgraded capacitors ready to install. I'm leaning toward the Mcaps, just because I have them and they seem to be more substantial and maybe the closer +/- 3% tolerance makes a difference (not that I'll ever hear a difference). LOL

What do you DIY audio experts say? Mcaps or Vcaps??

TU-8600 upgraded caps

The four upgraded caps that I was referring to were the 0.22 uF (400V) Polypropylene film capacitors placed at C103, C104, C203, and C204.

They are easily unsoldered and swapped out except for one thing. The main PCB board has to be removed and that requires several steps. These could be avoided it the bottom of the nice black case had an 'escape' hatch to allow access from underneath.

:cop:

Edit at member request:

I should have noted that I was referring to the TU-8600 R. I just noticed that the previous text was asking about the S version.

:cop:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, anyone tried Duelund Capacitor 0.1uF 630Vdc CAST-PIO-Cu (Sn) at 32mm diameter? Can it fit the TU8600S? Wonder how is the sound compared to Mcap Silver Gold, ODAM and CuTF.
Did you find out if these fit ok (in a upright position?). I was going to look at using these as they are cheaper than the VCap CuTF and some people believe they are the ultimate cap and a bit better if you prefer a touch more body compared to absolute detail