V cap orientation on TU-8600S board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Victor,

Is this the proper orientation for the V Cap capacitors on the TU-8600S board?
View attachment 863260

You told me on the phone that red was negative and green was positive. Do I strip those red and green insulators only to the point where the legs fit through the holes on the board, or do I remove them completely?

Thanks,
Allan

Last edited:
CuTF & TFTF Series

The green lead indicates the outermost foil, and should be connected to the lowest impedance path to ground. Another way to identify outer foil is the writing on the label flows towards the outer foil.
Use a quality wire stripper when removing the insulation, like a Klein No. 11055
When used in amplifiers, outer foil should be connected towards the plate of first stage
If using as a bypass cap to ground, connect green lead to ground.
If using as a bypass cap from a signal to B+, connect green lead to B+.
If using in a feedback position, connect green lead towards the output
When securing near objects or circuit traces that have sharp edges, Silicone tape can work well as a buffer, to prevent laceration of the V-Cap's outer skin.

ODAM- installation note
The short lead indicates the outermost foil, and should be connected to the lowest impedance path to ground. Another way to identify outer foil is the writing on the label flows towards the outer foil.
The ODAM and OIMP series capacitors have metal bodies that are electrically conductive. Ensure that the body doesn't make electrical contact with any other portion of the circuit other components or electrically LIVE circuit traces. Heatshrink, 3M foam tape, or silicone tape around the body may be used to help insulate, and protect from electrical short.

Here is how I installed my V caps.

Attachments

• 20200726_150033 board with V caps.jpg
    20200726_150033 board with V caps.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 497
Just out of curiosity, aren't these caps backwards?

The outer foil (green wire) is the outer shield, and should be connected to the lower impedance path to ground. In this case the plates of V1, V2, and V3 are the lower impedance paths to ground, while the grids of V2, V3, V4, and V5 are the high impedance side, and should be connected to the inner (shielded) electrode of the capacitors.

I don't have these capacitors but may consider getting them after I have a chance to listen to the stock ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.