VCap ODAM upgrade for TU-8600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few weeks ago I was looking to upgrade the coupling caps in my Tu-8600R. When I originally built it I had bought The Mundorf Mcap Supreme EVO Aluminum which is a oil impregnated cap. Compared to the stock coupling caps, the Mundorf made quite a considerable difference.

I originally wanted the MCap Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil caps But they were far more expensive than the Aluminum Mcap.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was looking to upgrade, my original choices were MCap Supreme EVO Silver Gold Oil which I originally wanted, and the Vcap CuTF. I read so many reviews and comparisons. Neither cap really stood out aside from a price difference.

In the end I decided I was going to go all in on the Vcap CuTF, so i sent Victor an email that I wanted to buy some from him. a short while later I got a call from him and he asked me If was sure I wanted to the Vcap CuTF. I had told him in my email that it was pretty hard to pick between the two since neither really stood out over the other. And then he said one thing that really stood out. he pretty much said that just because something costs twice as much as the other, doesn't necessarily mean that It's going to sound twice as better.. I happened to be standing in front on my Tu-8600 when he said this and I thought to my self "he's right". He mentioned the Vcap Odam and he ended the cal saying that he wants to make sure that Im getting the best parts for my Tu-8600R.

The Vcap Odam were not on my radar. I did spent some time a few days earlier reading about them when I was looking into the Vcap CuTF. The Odam are oil filled and hermetically sealed,
And all of the reviews were highly positive, a couple of reviews even compared the Odam to Delund Cast capacitors. anyways it became apparent that the Odam punch above. I contacted Victor and soon enough they were here. (Thank you Victor!)

Physically the Odam are thinner than the Odam but slighty longer.

h72EhnL.jpg

1w0L57i.jpg

First impression are good!! There is a bit more power coming out through out the range. The first things i notice immediately is a more powerful bass, mids are rich, clear and a little brighter, and highs are smooth, in contrast to the Mundorf MCap Supreme EVO. Dynamics are incredible, to the point that it's trippy, this is probably because everything is coming through nicely. I can hear why these have a lot of people very impressed!

I also bought some Natural Sound (not to be confused with "Nature Sound") Black plate 300B which I will share more about once my Hickok KS-15874-L2 cardmatic comes in.
I've been starring at them non stop! They are easily some of the most beautifully made 300b, I can tell that a lot of attention to detail went in during construction. I will find out soon enough if they sound as good af they look. but more on that later.

Last edited:
The NS/COSSOR Black Plate is made by LINLAI.
LINLAI is formed by a team of engineers who left Psvane in 2019. The story of how LINLAI began is very similar to the story of how Psvane was formed a decade ago, when a team of engineers left the Shuguang tube factory to form a new company.

THE COSSOR WE300B or Black Plate 300B is made by LINLAI for our specification.

LINLAI's WE-series offering are identical to Psvane WE series. There is NO difference. They are 100%, identical, visually and electronically.

Among tube manufacturers and audiophiles it appears to have a consensus that: A metal plate tube by default will sound more dynamic and transparent than a graphite plate tube; and when same plate materials are used, a ‘overhung filament’ design by default will sound more delicate and refined than other filament design.

Overhung filament is extremely difficult to manufacture as a tiny discrepancy in spacing, fixture and material characteristics under extreme temperature can lead to more possible ‘failure’ in production. Overall, tube factory will face a much higher rate of ‘scrap’ even before a tube reaches the product finishing line. This leads to eventually higher overall production cost. Many tube factories deliberately stay away from this filament design.

THe COSSOR WE300B is a overhung filament design...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.