TU-8500 really bassy, probably Rega turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I finished assembling my TU-8500. I also got a used Rega P25 with Black Pearl cartridge. The Rega is going into the Phono Pre Amp on the TU-5800 with MM selected. I also have an older Pioneer DP-29F (amazon).
That Pioneer has a phono-amp built in, so I can use Aux1, instead of the Phono-pre-amp, so I can easily do an A B test.

The Rega sounds bass heavy, totally lacking in the treble vs the Pioneer. I'm convinced something ain't right. It's also totally lacking in the treble vs the digital version. (Aux2 is a RaspberryPi with Allo BOSS DAC)

Any ideas? I probably only have 12-20 hours on the pre-amp. Factory tubes. I recall they were these JJ tubes. But I could be mistaken. I did purchase some other matched tubes (TS-12AU7 Tung-Sol 12AU7) that I haven't installed yet.

I need to get this turntable dialed in before the wife says "I told you so."
Help!

I also got a used Rega P25 with Black Pearl cartridge.

The Rega sounds bass heavy, totally lacking in the treble vs the Pioneer. I'm convinced something ain't right. It's also totally lacking in the treble vs the digital version. (Aux2 is a RaspberryPi with Allo BOSS DAC)

That's a real entry level cartridge, and it's possible the stylus is worn out. I'm guessing you have no idea how many hours it has on it? I'd be looking for something else. Maybe one of the new AT VM95EN or ML cartridges, depending on what your budget is.

Also, either move your speakers away from the turntable, or move the table. Regas have poor isolation and will pick up vibrations from your speakers, which can make for boomy bass.

jeff

Last edited:
@vinylkid58 love the corgi, and thanks. I'll slap a new Ortofon 2M Red in there I have to see if that sorts me out. You're right, no idea how many hours on on that Black Pearl.

The little speaker that's next to it is the tv speaker, the stereo speaker is a bit further to the left - but yes, not an ideal setup. Just what I'm dealing with now - constant change ya know? thanks for the responses!

@Wansmith yup, got the MM/MC selector correct. I tried it the other way too, and that was worse, though I don't recall which direction of worse it was ;)

drew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.