Sun Valley SV-EQ1616D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Feedback from CO
The SV EQ1616D is now singing beautiful music.

I listened to it for 5 days already. These are what i immediately noticed : separation of instruments is fantastic, the soundstage is wide and deep,vocals are lifelike and imaging is holographic.

Tubes installed: NOS Sylvania 12AX7, NOS Mullard CV4024(12AT7), Toshiba 5AR4.

Building Point to Point amp is just like painting your masterpiece.

Only the amplification part is PCB. As long as you are following the photos and instructions to assemble your amp you should be good
Please take time to arrange the components

Hi Victor,

Definitely considering it (along with one of the Lundahl transformer options).

Thanks for the encouragement.

Carl

49911492786_2cb6ac6ea6_k.jpg

It is very good... I have never heard such detail from my LP

I'll bet. Some excellent caps and tube(s) in yours. Looks great, Victor. :yes:

For anyone thinking about the K&K SUT addition, I received mine last week and it is a great upgrade for those who prefer a SUT in place of FETs to make it a true "tube" phono-stage for MC/MM cartridges.

Last edited:
Completed the Sun Valley EQ1616D kit last week. I had it together a month earlier, but I didn’t get the targeted voltages, so I removed all the point-to-point wiring, resistors and capacitors and soldered them in a second time, being a lot more careful for round two. This time it came very close to the specified test voltages, and it works fine.

It’s probably not a beginner’s kit. I built an Elekit TU-8600 several years ago, and I thought this preamp kit was slightly more difficult. The directions were clear, though. As I worked on it I did make some notes on things that would make construction a little easier, which I’ll pass on to Victor for anyone else taking this on.

With Gold Lion 12AX7 and 12AT7 tubes, a Pavane Acme 274B rectifier, and Mundorf caps, the sound quality is very good. It is dead quiet, fast, and has great detail, separation of instruments and soundstage. It seems a little light in upper bass initially, but I expect that to change with break-in. The bass is very well defined.

I’m using it with a VPI Aries 3 with Soundsmith Zephyr II cart, ARC VSi60 integrated, and Joseph Audio Perspectives. (The TU-8600 is doing fine in a second system).

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I sat on the kit for a couple of weeks before I had the time to start it and sometimes it has been a little bit frustrating but mostly fun and satisfying so far. Fortunately there are so many pictures here for reference.

I am about to start page 17 of the build guide and not happy with the way the input wires came out so will probably redo those.

20200918_215129.jpg

20200919_163738.jpg

I guess I should clarify - the frustrating part is when you wish you had 2 more hands to hold things in place while you solder them. I guess if you don't try to be super picky about how it looks you probably won't have much trouble at all. The chassis is super solid and you can tell that the quality of the kit is excellent. Thanks for another great project Victor and hope to have it running soon!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.