Sun Valley SV-EQ1616D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased this kit from Victor a couple of months ago and just got it finished this week. The quality of the kit and instructions are first-rate. I swapped in some upgraded Vishay metal film resistors and Mundorf caps while I was building it. The supplied components look pretty high quality, so it may not have made any difference, but I figured now is the time to do it, so I did.

How does it sound? In MM mode, with my go-to SUT, it sounds awesome. The sound is alive and full and detailed. After a week of listening, I am very happy. Better than the Line Magnetic LP33 it replaces, and better than just about everything else I've had in my system. I'm using a Denon 103R cartridge but will try my Hana SL soon. It feeds a Line Magnetic 518 IA integrated amp driving Martin Logan ESL 11 Impression speakers. Tubes used are NOS Tungsram 12AX7 in V1+V2 and JJ 803ES in V3, and PSVane 274B rectifier. SUT is custom with Jensen 347 transformers, 12:1.

I'm experimenting with changing a few parts in the design that affect the Turnover and Rolloff features. The rolloff in particular is a drastic cut to the highs when engaged, so I'm changing a cap value and the resistance of the potentiometer to make it more subtle.

I highly recommend this kit! I can't imaging that you'd be disappointed with the sound. Happy to share more details with anyone interested.
Ron

Attachments

• sunvalley internal.jpg
    sunvalley internal.jpg
    895.4 KB · Views: 234
  • phono setup.jpg
    phono setup.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 243
  • sunvalley kit 2.jpg
    sunvalley kit 2.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 230
  • sunvalley phono.jpg
    sunvalley phono.jpg
    775.2 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.