Recommended speakers for Elekit TU-8200R

I've recently completed the TU-8200R Kit.
I've tried it with two pairs of speakers:
Axiom M3Ti (92 dB sensitivity, circa 2002) and Athena LS100B (87 dB sensitivity) circa 2007 - $50 each from Audio Advisor).

To me, the Athenas have been more enjoyable. Even with a smaller woofer, there seems to be more balance and low end. Both have decent soundstage, but the Axioms to me seem more bright, but not in a pleasant way. My listening habits range from Indie/noise rock to Blue Note Jazz to 20th century classical.

Naturally, I'm looking at new speakers (around $500) and have focused on these:

Klipsch RP-600M
Amazon.com: Klipsch RP-600M Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) (Ebony): Home Audio & Theater

Klipsch RP-5000f - I don't have stands, would be nice to not need them.
Amazon.com: Klipsch RP-5000F Floorstanding Speakers (Walnut): Home Audio & Theater

KEF Q150
Amazon.com: KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Walnut): Home Audio & Theater

Any experience or advice?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Axiom M3Ti

impedance.gif

Athena LS100B

Af2fig1.jpg

Klipsch RP-600M

319K600fig1.jpg

Klipsch RP-5000f

Can’t find an impedance measure for these, but i have looked up many and they are broadly similar to the one above

Can’t find this one either, but here is the Q350 i expect it is broadly similar

318K350fig1.jpg

Most SE amplifiers have highsh output impedance (Victor do you know what it is?) so of prime concern is a flattish impedance response. A fraction of the shape of the impedance will impose itself on the FR, and flat impedance is, i believe, much more important then sensitivity — especially considerin gthat manufacturers often cherry pick that spec (ie Klipsch are often much less than specced).

With most amplifiers out there with low output impedance, most manufacturers don’t care about the impedance.

Often you will find that people like to use FR speakers with SE amps, somewhat due to the tendency of FR to have a much flatter impedance curve.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn Kit...

A good example of a FR box. I was part of the development team for this box and i will note that, to fit the format of the BK horns, it is more compromised than most of the other horns we have done. FH3 for instance with the same driver is better. And, althou one would have to give up some efficiency, there are better drivers to use in it.

My goto FR for low power SE tube amps is tha Alpair 10p, which fits the Frugel-Horn XL. It will cost more than $500 thou unless you can build them yourself. Flat paks are about $400 (but not currently available due to the plague), and drivers are cheap at Madisound right now.

There are othe r boxes too that work well.

Mar-Ken10pTT.jpg

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Normal, quite textbook advice...
You trade efficiency for (low) extension, that's why the less sensitive speakers sound more round, less edgy, with a profound bass.

That is generally true, but a really big box can compensate.

For the FE126En. Woden Design | Valiant

(note that all of the mentioned FR boxes come from the same team).

dave

Dave, thanks for the overview of the imp. & phase of the models mentioned, which frankly I didn't take care to look at, because of the nature of this site and being my attitude, also often disgusted just by the sight of them, no offense to the well reputed brands.
Also
That is generally true
might apply to this vast camp, loudspeakers and amp&LS together ( let's not count cables)

ATM I'm using Pioneer amplifier ( 520&9520 mosfet, cmos inputs & routing) and Pioneer 6 1/2" ( 60-6000 Hz written on the magnet, running "free") + (mica) horn metal cast tweeter CLC filtered in BR box.
:clown:

This is the magic of oven Baffler speaker - no Box, no sub, no crossover, no msg bass...
I only trust my ears... Instruments cannot measure the aria
You just need a pice of pine wood + the driver
This was extracted from Stereophile written by JASON VICTOR SERINUS

I was drawn to the room by the beauty of Cecilia Bartoli’s voice on an aria from her recent Antonio Vivaldi CD. I frequently play tracks from this disc at home, so I know that orchestral instruments should have had more weight and body than they did here. The recorder, on the other hand, sounded drop-dead beautiful. I also heard a 1992 direct-to-disc recording of Joe Pass playing “Unforgettable;” the quality of attack and fineness of line were very special. This system, then,like many systems based on full-range drivers, has many virtues but is suited to particular tastes.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
… might apply to this vast camp, loudspeakers and amp&LS together ( let's not count cables

worth emphasizing. Speakers, amplifier (and the cables connecting them) are a system that really should not be dealt with a seperate pieces.

Especially if you are playing on the fringes as most with SE amps already are playing in.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice, i know that design since 10 years ago, when I signed to this forum.

A quick note, for anyone willing to travel here, i have the prototypes here that are too big to ship and i am happy to give away (also works with a number of MA 4” drivers — even more bass at the expense of efficiency)

could one "wing" be removed, and a resonator used in the (unused) back chamber ?! Similar to some design/example of Martin J. King !?

One could, but any issues have already been taken to deal with issues resonators are supposed to fix. Personally i have never liked this bandaid.

More useful to make the air cavity much more complex, some examples here (the one we did are in the give away boxes).

237574d1314487756-taking-air-cavity-pre-chamber-level-blocksin-jpg

ww.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/195469-taking-air-cavity-pre-chamber-level.html

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is the magic of oven Baffler speaker - no Box, no sub, no crossover, no msg bass… [/quoye]

OBs have their place but everyone i have heard has has the same issue (and one of them was one of the “boxiest speakers i have ever heard (with Iris).

Not the fix all many think.

Victor, what is the output impedance of this amp?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Victor, you are the distributor, if you don’t know the answer to the question you should find out. This is important info for every SE amp you do. Particualrily as most will be buying it site unseen, let alone having heard it (i have heard the 8200 and like it — you showed it at a maker space thing in Nanaimo a long while ago).

dave