Recommended speakers for Elekit TU-8200R

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Unfortunate. The number is every bit as important as power output given that low power drives people to look for higher efficiency speakers, not knowing how important the amps output impedance interacts with the speaker impedance.

I often see Klipsch speakers put forward, when you can see that these typiclly have really ugly impedance curves, and need a low output impedance amplifier.

How many of your customers are unhappy with the amps because they have choosen to use higher efficiency loudspeakers with non-flat impedance?

Can you get the amps measured?

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The sterophile review was complementary, but no measurements.

From that last post:

At 1 kilocycle, the output source impedance is 2.93 Ω at the 8 Ω setting, which is a Damping Factor of 2.7.

At 1 kilocycle, the output source impedance is 1.88 Ω at the 4 Ω setting, which is a Damping Factor of 2.1 into 4Ω, 2.7 into 5Ω or 4.3 into 8Ω.

On the high side for SE, this amp will significantly interact with the speaker impedance. Thanx Wansmith.

dave

Hi Ttubrag,
Have you already bought the speakers? If yes, share please your experience with us.
If you choosed for the Klipsh 600M, check please the link about upgrading Klipsch 600M by a profesional, very interesting video:
YouTube
I did some research about a proper loudspeakers for my TU-8200R and i found two US companies producing high-eficiency speakers for tube amps. The first one is called ZU
Hi-Fi Speakers | High Efficiency Speakers | Custom made in Utah | Zu Audio
I was excited about Omen MKII, but some people said the lower frequencies are not so good.
Then I discovered the company Omega:
Monitor Speakers

– Omega Speaker Systems

I like that the Omegas have the power requirements: as little as 2 watts and they do not need the crossover.
I forgot the third US company producing the Tekton speakers:
Lore Reference - Tekton Design | Improve your hearing
Very good quality and a good price too.

I purchased the Klipsch RP-600M from Amazon.com for $419. I thought the speakers were fine but didn't have the breathless reaction that you see in review videos. Then I bought and completed the crossover upgrade kit from GR Research (the one in the video). Part of what sold me on the upgrade is that it will flatten the impedence curve as discussed in this thread. I'm very happy with the Klipsch at this time. I was also able to pick up a Schitt Loki tone controller, which will allow for some adjustments. I am not very secure in my ability to hear all the nuances, but I am confident that they are convinced that they sound better than before the upgrade. The upgrade cost $209 US, so I am still at half the price of the Omega speakers (though they are gorgeous). I also got to enjoy the project of the upgrade and I probably learned something, too.

I do want to try a full range driver in the future, but the Klipsch are great for me for now.

I’m also running the GR-research modded RP-600m speakers based off the Stereophile HR review. I bought them for the new TU-8600S. I find they have a little less punch in the midbass and will likely upgrade to the 4pi 15” speakers or one of the planar tweeter speaker kits on GR-research website if I’m not happy with the klipsch.

I have several pairs of Markaudio Pensil full range speakers that I use with my 8200 and to me they sound great and they are plenty sensitive. I've compared to my Dynaco A-25's and while really good they went back in the closet. In my opinion a $500.00 DIY full range project will get you huge bank for the buck! Have fun with the build, it's a great amplifier!

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I am curious of how the TU8200r-do would perform with an older set of Spatial Audio M3 Holograms. They are 95db sensitive but a 4 ohm load. Appreciate any feedback

Scott
They are rated 95dB 2.83V @1M, which is 92 dB/1W. My speakers are 3 dB less sensitive on paper, but they are fine for low-to-medium level listening. My family would not tolerate much higher volume anyway, even though the speakers are in a separate room.