Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 3rd March 2020, 11:54 PM   #1
Mancave62 is offline Mancave62  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tu-8500 phono stage upgrades

I've really gotten the vinyl bug again after finding several large boxes of LPs that I forgot I had, mostly from the 70's. I really am enjoying my 8500 with 8200, always looking for possible improvements. What phono stage upgrades can I make to get even more from the 8500, I love to tweak...Thanks
The 8500 is stock except for the tubes, I'm running Sylvania 12AT7 JAN
Old 4th March 2020, 04:41 PM   #2
vkung is online now vkung  Canada
diyAudio Member

YOU have several options

TI- 22227P OP-amp
0.47 X 4 coupling cap
Old 7th March 2020, 02:27 AM   #3
gpdavis2 is offline gpdavis2  United States
diyAudio Member

Another op-amp to roll is the LM4562NA which is an 'ultra low-noise' audio model from TI (think they may inherited when they purchased National Semi). Don't recall what I paid for my pair, but think it was $11. Much cheaper than rolling tubes.

Rolled in a pair of matched JAN Sylvania 12AU7 tubes and am very pleased. Have a pair of Gold Lions to try next, but the Sylvania are excellent. The stock Chinese tubes are really quite bad.

The TU-8500 is a great little preamp.
Old 7th March 2020, 03:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdavis2 View Post
Another op-amp to roll is the LM4562NA which is an 'ultra low-noise' audio model from TI (think they may inherited when they purchased National Semi). Don't recall what I paid for my pair, but think it was $11. Much cheaper than rolling tubes.

Rolled in a pair of matched JAN Sylvania 12AU7 tubes and am very pleased. Have a pair of Gold Lions to try next, but the Sylvania are excellent. The stock Chinese tubes are really quite bad.

So, I've got some ti-2227 on the way, not sure why, because I like it the way it is, always trying to get the most and the best...LOL...
Old 7th March 2020, 03:25 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:

So I'm glad you didn't recommend audiophile capacitor upgrades because I don't believe they have tonal qualities in the signal path. I use WIMA from all my upgrades/builds...
Old 7th March 2020, 10:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ooops.......... forgot to mention that I went with Victor's top Mundorf EVO SilverGold upgrade caps. Same as in my amp and glad I did. Would have thought that going with the best caps were a given, so not mentioned. Always go with the best coupling caps you can afford. They make as big a difference as tube rolling. As with cables, if you are not able to hear the difference you have my sympathy on one side and my regret on the other (if you can't hear the difference, its free - any cap or cable will do. if you can hear the difference...... it costs).

Also, neglected to mention that I hear some low level of hiss between tracks when listening at loud levels on the MC input when I stand near the speakers with the 2227P opamps. Like you, I like the sound TU-8500 enough, and 99% of my listening is at moderate levels (<75db), that I've not rolled in the LM4562s to see if it might be the tubes or the opamps. Will eventually get there.

Last edited by gpdavis2; 7th March 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 9th March 2020, 09:40 PM   #7
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancave62 View Post
So I'm glad you didn't recommend audiophile capacitor upgrades because I don't believe they have tonal qualities in the signal path. I use WIMA from all my upgrades/builds...
After having used my (heavily modified) TU-8200DX with the Amtrans AMCO caps for a couple of years, I thought I would give it a try and ordered a set of Mundorf Supreme EVO SilverGold caps. I was always sceptical about sonic advantages of more expensive caps, and this was the maximum I was willing to spend in order to test my assumptions.

My suspicions were right as I could hardly convince myself that there was any sonic difference. (At the same time, I could hear noticeable differences between different tube brands.)
Old 9th March 2020, 09:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Excellent. You'll save some good $$ on your next build by using the stock caps. Never a bad thing to save some $$.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:04 PM   #9
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Indeed.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:50 PM   #10
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Their noise current is a bit on the high side for moving-magnet cartridges, although it will probably still be less than record surface noise. (Ultra low-noise usually means ultra low noise voltage and ultra high noise current.) If you want to support both moving-magnet and moving-coil cartridges, they are a good compromise.

Tu-8500 phono stage upgradesHide this!Advertise here!