Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 9th March 2020, 11:23 PM   #11
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

good capacitors are soundless. WIMA are excellent.
if they have a sound, it would be in a change of capacitance relative to voltage across it.
old ceramics were poor ( microphonic).
Someone could run tests of various caps for pf vs V. This effect is huge in Mosfet gates as VDS approaches zero.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:51 PM   #12
Mancave62 is offline Mancave62  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktrader200 View Post
good capacitors are soundless. WIMA are excellent.
if they have a sound, it would be in a change of capacitance relative to voltage across it.
old ceramics were poor ( microphonic).
Someone could run tests of various caps for pf vs V. This effect is huge in Mosfet gates as VDS approaches zero.

I like the Wima MKP-10 capacitors in my tube amp builds, solid performers, durable, fit circuit boards perfectly, and best of all they have a pretty red color,
Old 9th March 2020, 11:59 PM   #13
gpdavis2 is offline gpdavis2  United States
diyAudio Member

Whew............. thought I was the only one who purchased caps based on looks. Doesn't matter how it sounds as long as it looks good. That's why I prefer tubes. That lovely filament glow with some occasional blue and even more rarely seen red plate (hopefully, seen no more often then the northern lights here near the south end of NJ). Don't get all that with solid-state.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:55 AM   #14
stocktrader200 is offline stocktrader200  Canada
diyAudio Member

the epoxy dipped ones are nice too.
Old 20th March 2020, 02:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Been listening to a range of cartridges (5x MC & 1x MM) with the 2227P opamps and to my ears, at least to this point-in-time, it makes all the MCs sound about the same. Has a pleasant, linear sound, but......... am guessing is about what one would expect at this $$-level. I'm going to listen for another week to see if the fancy caps need more time (or need to be dipped in epoxy, etc. ), then roll-in the next set of opamps to see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, I'm giving some serious thought to a SUT with the capability to adjust the resistive load setting. More in another month when I've heard more.

Last edited by gpdavis2; 20th March 2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 20th March 2020, 03:55 PM   #16
Mancave62 is offline Mancave62  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdavis2 View Post
Been listening to a range of cartridges (5x MC & 1x MM) with the 2227P opamps and to my ears, at least to this point-in-time, it makes all the MCs sound about the same. Has a pleasant, linear sound, but......... am guessing is about what one would expect at this $$-level. I'm going to listen for another week to see if the fancy caps need more time (or need to be dipped in epoxy, etc. ), then roll-in the next set of opamps to see if that makes a difference. In the meantime, I'm giving some serious thought to a SUT with the capability to adjust the resistive load setting. More in another month when I've heard more.
Thanks for the feedback. I've rolled in the 2227p's but haven't listened yet, hooked up my Akitika PR-102 while I worked on the 8500 (have left the stock caps in place). Really enjoyng both of these pre-amps. I've been rolling cartridges (MM only) as well. My Orbit came with an Ortofon Red, then tried the ATVM95e, and now the AT3600L ($13). So far, to my ears the AT3600L wins hands down. I'll post again when I try the 8500.
Old 20th March 2020, 04:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

My MMs over the past few years have been a V15VxMR, Ortofon 2m Blk & the current AT150Ti. The At150Ti the best of the bunch. However, to my ears, a comparably priced MC is superior to a MM and I'll be selling the AT150Ti in the not too distant future.
I do find a bit of 'noise' between tracks when my ears are next to the speaker. Certainly nothing audible when music is playing at any level.
Old 17th April 2020, 04:46 PM   #18
Hmavv is offline Hmavv  United States
diyAudio Member

I absolutely love this Pre-amp. For the price and performance It's unbeatable. I bought mine with all the upgrades offered by Victor, like the Mundorf caps, Amtrans AMRT resistors. I decided to with bought a pair of NOS Mullard Backburn 12AT7's in the tube section.

As for Opamp. Hybrid Opamp give the best performance when it comes to a Phonostage. And the best combination ssddi far had been OPA1641 JFET For the input, and OPA1611 Bipolar for the second stage. By far the best sounding out of all the combinations I had tried. It has great noise performance and it has brought my records alive.

I recently posted on here about upgrading the Voltage regulators with great results in my 8500 here. TU-8500 with Sparkos Labs Discreet Voltages Regulators

Im going to try a new set pig hybrids. OPA827 Jfet for the inputs, and Sparkos labs SS3601 discreet opamp for the second stage, should be coming in the mail any day now.

I did try Sparkos SS3602 for both stages and it sounded pretty bad. Very loud hum, hopefully Hybrid does better. The SS3602 are better left in my headphone amp.

By the way! if your going to try hybrid opamp the 8500, The opamp inputs are mixed up. Left channel uses Pins 1 through 4 for the first stage, while the right channel uses pins 5 through 8 for the for the first stage. This picture was taken from the back of the amp, Left channel opamp is on the right, and Right channel opamp is on the left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200410_183359.jpg (957.5 KB, 107 views)
Old 17th April 2020, 07:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Interesting. After a couple of hundred hours of play the noise between tracks on LPs on my 'full house' (all VK options) has gone, which is nice. I do find with the Ortofon Cadenza Black I need the volume up to 11-12 o'clock for what I consider to be the loud side of normal listening. No problem with noise between tracks, so am good. I keep thinking I'll roll in the new TI opamps, but am enjoying so much 2227s that I've not bothered.
Old 17th April 2020, 08:39 PM   #20
Hmavv is offline Hmavv  United States
diyAudio Member

Same here, It took about sixty to a hundred hours for my 8500 to break in after being built with the 2227s. You can never go wrong with the 2227s.

I have always read that opamp burn in is a myth, But after rolling quite a few, noise is the first thing I notice that changes with time, sound not so much. I even came across a thread of people literally baking them to accelerate break in. I couldn't tell if they were being sarcastic or serious.

Are you using the 8500 in MC or MM gain?

Tu-8500 phono stage upgradesHide this!Advertise here!