TU8200 with Klipsch speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. Thinking about building a 8200DX kit. My main speakers are Klipsch rf7s. Anyone who knows Klipsch is aware of the impedance curve being all over the charts. What can I say, I like em. Anyway, will this amp have a problem driving these speakers?? Thanks, J.D.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The high output impedance of the SE amp will mean that a portion of the impedance curve will be convolved with the FR (as measured with a low output impedance amp).

Usually a wild impedance is a prescription for a low output impedance amp.

So unless the speakers FR just happens to complement the change caused by the impedance it is not likely to be a good match.

These are RF7-II (don’t know how different it is):

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Impedence%2520Curve.jpg

And the FR:

Klipsch%2520RF7%2520II%2520Frequency%2520response.jpg

In this case, driven by a typical SE amp, looks like the impedance dips are close to the FR dips and the peaks are cloase too, so interaction will likely produce more uneven FR than w a low output impedance amplifier.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Can’t find an impedance curve of the Heresy III, the one i found for H1 has as dramatic rise maxing out at about 3kHz.

post-453-0-91780000-1456333330.jpg

The FR of the HIII from elsewhere:

klipsch_heresy_III_frequency_response_1m.jpg

In your room, if the rise caused by the interaction of the impedance of the speaker and the SE amp, is countered by a dip in the speakers FR (as measured with a low output impedance amp) then the anaomaly fixes itself, if not you’ll have at least a slight rise.

dave

I thought of that. Have a couple reasons not to. First is the difference in cost. Much more inclined to spend less on a product i haven't personally heard. Second, I have 2 or 3 ribbed plate 12au7 tele's laying around and a matched quad of old winged c 6550s someplace. While you could do better than the winged c, you could also do a whole lot worse. So, I already have good tubes to fit the 8200. Not so with the 8600. Thanks for the reply. J.D.

Understand........ the problem being, it is becoming more & more difficult to actually listen to any gear with the increasing lack of bricks & motar shops. Am driving 100mi Saturday to one and would not be going if there wasn't an excellent used LP store adjacent to their shop.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The TU-8600 uses some local negative feedback to the cathode of the output tube, but I agree that it will hardly give you much better results from a damping factor perspective.

btw, the measured output impedance of the TU-8200 is 2.93 Ω at the 8 Ω setting and 1.88 Ω at the 4 Ω setting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.