Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 28th November 2019, 12:47 AM   #1
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default DIY fullrange compact bookshelf suggestions for TU8200

Hi there

I'm looking for some DIY full range compact high efficiency bookshelf speaker recommendations for the TU8200 (in UL 8w pc mode). This is for a bedroom system.

Looking to keep the build sub $1k.

Does anyone with experience in full range speakers / drivers and have any recommendations here, noting the use of sub 8w amps?

The alternative that I have is the Klipsch RP-600m, a high efficiency bookshelf which was reviewed favourably by Herb from Stereophile when paired with the TU8600, however it is quite a bit more costly here in Australia than it is in US.

Thank you
Old 28th November 2019, 01:09 AM   #2
rnjorge is offline rnjorge  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Not very efficient, but nice sounding is the Alpair 7 or the new generation Pluvia 7. A friend of mine has the Alpairs with the manufacturer's sugested BR plans. I have the first generation Pluvias in a TL enclosure, but I find that it lacks a bit of the high frequencies. They can be build with a little over $200. I use them with sub 6w amplifiers.
Old 28th November 2019, 01:21 AM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DIY fullrange compact bookshelf suggestions for TU8200
You probably don’t need as efficient speakers as you think. What you need with a highish output impedance amp ar espeakers with a flattish impedance response. Rising at either end can give you extra extention top & bottom.

I don’t know about that particular Jlipsch but i have looked at at least a half dozen representative examples & they all have horrid impedance curves.

Small, efficient, and bass do not go together. My top recommend would be Alpair 10p, you can squeeze them into 10 litres, but they are happier in 17… is that small enuff for you. With a bigger box (horn, ML-TL) it can go lower.

dave
Old 28th November 2019, 03:02 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Small, efficient, and bass do not go together. My top recommend would be Alpair 10p, you can squeeze them into 10 litres, but they are happier in 17 is that small enuff for you. With a bigger box (horn, ML-TL) it can go lower.

dave
Thanks - much appreciated dave and rnjorge

I'm very interested in the Alpair 10p - 10 litres is definitely small enough for me, and I'll consider 17 litres though that would definitely be at the max range of what I am looking for.

In terms of making the enclosures (10L & 17L horn/ML-TL) - where can I find the plans for the enclosures, and what would be the best guide for a confident beginner in terms of making them?

Many thanks
Old 28th November 2019, 03:08 AM   #5
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

DIY fullrange compact bookshelf suggestions for TU8200
You will find at least a few simple reflex boxes (including one by Scottmoose 17 L). I have a set of paid plansets (and a free example (13 L) http://p10hifi.net/FAL/downloads/CGR...lan-040414.pdf). Frugel-Horn XL and Silbury are horns, Pensil 10p and example of an ML-TL. Jim Griffin also has one.

dave
Old 28th November 2019, 03:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Perfect thanks!
Old 29th November 2019, 12:28 AM   #7
pingpongcomputer is offline pingpongcomputer
diyAudio Member

I built a paper of planet10's design MarKen10T with the Alpair 10p for desktop use with an 8wpc tube amp and they sound great. A little rolled off in the high end but great to listen all day.

DIY fullrange compact bookshelf suggestions for TU8200Hide this!Advertise here!