DIY fullrange compact bookshelf suggestions for TU8200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

I'm looking for some DIY full range compact high efficiency bookshelf speaker recommendations for the TU8200 (in UL 8w pc mode). This is for a bedroom system.

Looking to keep the build sub $1k.

Does anyone with experience in full range speakers / drivers and have any recommendations here, noting the use of sub 8w amps?

The alternative that I have is the Klipsch RP-600m, a high efficiency bookshelf which was reviewed favourably by Herb from Stereophile when paired with the TU8600, however it is quite a bit more costly here in Australia than it is in US.

Thank you

Not very efficient, but nice sounding is the Alpair 7 or the new generation Pluvia 7. A friend of mine has the Alpairs with the manufacturer's sugested BR plans. I have the first generation Pluvias in a TL enclosure, but I find that it lacks a bit of the high frequencies. They can be build with a little over $200. I use them with sub 6w amplifiers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You probably don’t need as efficient speakers as you think. What you need with a highish output impedance amp ar espeakers with a flattish impedance response. Rising at either end can give you extra extention top & bottom.

I don’t know about that particular Jlipsch but i have looked at at least a half dozen representative examples & they all have horrid impedance curves.

Small, efficient, and bass do not go together. My top recommend would be Alpair 10p, you can squeeze them into 10 litres, but they are happier in 17… is that small enuff for you. With a bigger box (horn, ML-TL) it can go lower.

dave

Small, efficient, and bass do not go together. My top recommend would be Alpair 10p, you can squeeze them into 10 litres, but they are happier in 17… is that small enuff for you. With a bigger box (horn, ML-TL) it can go lower.

dave

Thanks - much appreciated dave and rnjorge

I'm very interested in the Alpair 10p - 10 litres is definitely small enough for me, and I'll consider 17 litres though that would definitely be at the max range of what I am looking for.

In terms of making the enclosures (10L & 17L horn/ML-TL) - where can I find the plans for the enclosures, and what would be the best guide for a confident beginner in terms of making them?

Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.