Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 11th January 2021, 01:49 AM   #71
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

Wansmith, what advice can you give to anyone about to build this kit? Did you do any mods to it? What tubes did you settle on and can you compare it to other phono preamps?

I canít wait for mine to arrive. I have had many phono preamps and most recently LCR, Sutherland and Rogue Audio Ares.
Old 11th January 2021, 02:23 AM   #72
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Neville - i'll set out my advice but it will largely be targeted at people who have had experience building pcb based Elekit amps with the Sunvalley being their first point-to-point build.

If you have built point-to-point before then you'll be totally fine because the color manual is very detailed and clearly set out, and the reference pictures on the first page of this forum thread will help you with the layout.

For people who haven't built point to point before i'd heed the following:

Protect the chassis - The chassis can scratch easily if you aren't careful. Consider how you are going to protect from scratches when moving it around. I used a cardboard piece which slid on the table.

Expectation re time - If you are coming from pcb based like Elekit to Sunvalley - ensure that you budget 3x the amount of time than you think it will take you to finish. It is critical that you don't rush and that you double check as you go. Any expectations you have regarding finishing by a certain day will inevitably make you rush. Point to point is a completely different building experience to pcb.

Point to point solder joints - on pcb builds you don't really need separate flux, however for point to point I found it very helpful to guide the solder flow where you wanted it to go (I used a flux pen). I found this website helpful for the basic concepts of point to point and soldering to lugs: https://www.angelfire.com/electronic...Soldering.html.
Also, masking tape and clips were helpful in keeping the components in place in 3D space when soldering. The manual specifies that all the joints are to be made on the lugs themselves, however you'll inevitably have to do a few where you join components to their leads. The photos that victor put up for the pre have some helpful examples of joints: Sunvalley SV-Pre1616D Point to Point Prject

Double check as you go - check 1. connection is in the right place 2. quality of the solder joint 3. there is no risk of exposed wires or leads touching other metal things that they shouldn't be touching.

Electrolytic capacitor orientation - as always - don't forget to double check this, in particular the electrolytic caps that aren't on the pcb. Easy to forget when you are in the flow.

Last edited by Wansmith; 11th January 2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11th January 2021, 05:58 AM   #73
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ended up going with the set recommended by victor: 2x gold lion 12ax7 gold pin and 1x nos brimar 12au7, and the we274b pavane rectifier, and the vcap upgrade. Im not the most experienced and can only compare this to the elekit tu8500 phonostage. I find the eq1616 more lively and dynamic.

Only change to the kit was to use hookup wire with slightly thicker insulation between the ac inlet to power switch to fuse. The yellow wire that came with the kit looked like it would be ok for 110V but less so for 240V for australia.
Old 11th January 2021, 07:31 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Thanks for those tips Wansmith. My point to point soldering is not the best. I came across youtube videos from a technical college way back "basic soldering lessons" 1-9. I am feeling inspired to solder something, anything right now LOL.

I did get the cap upgrade from Victor. Rest of the tubes, I already have in my stash. I am keen to try my Mullard 12au7 as well as Cifte 12au7 .
Old 14th January 2021, 09:03 PM   #75
diyAudio Member

Received my kit from Victor within 3 days. Hard to believe that with the pandemic and customs it only took 3 days

I noticed that the AC inlet is only 2 prong and no ground prong and the power cable has 3 prong when plugging into AC Inlet on chassis but does not have ground when plugging into the wall, it has a separate earth ground. Not sure I understand this but has anybody just used a 3 prong AC and attached ground to the chassis (scratching off the inside for better connection)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 prong with ground.jpg (361.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Neville; 14th January 2021 at 09:09 PM.
  Reply to this post

EQ1616D Phono AmpHide this!Advertise here!