Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 24th January 2021, 08:27 PM   #91
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are my thoughts about this kit:

- quick shipping from Victor
- outer box comes with the build guide, upgrades you asked for and revision sheet with resistors and caps, which are not needed according to Victor
- inner box has the kit which is well packed
- English build guide is on good printed paper but I felt at times there was a “lost in translation”. There are bag contents and detailed parts breakdown in Japanese. I translated these to English and also did it for parts of the build guide.
- I read the build guide several times and it’s indicated when to solder and when to join the resistors,caps and wires. Think of it as 3 levels of building. Wiring hugs the chassis and terminal lugs. Next up is the resistors. And final level is caps. This where I worked a few parts each night and walked away, slowly checking off each level. I kept on going back and forth between pages to make sure when the iron was in place I had all the necessary build parts in each terminal lug. I found myself twisting my body and arms to get into tight spots...yes 2 more hands would have come in “handy”
- make sure you use painters tape on the chassis to prevent scratches
- right now she is playing music with Sovtek 12ax7 LPS in v1 and v2 and cv4003 in v3 with Sovtek 5ar4 and here in lies a major issue. The metal base for v1 and v2 are so tight, removing and installing tubes is impossible. None of my Genalax tubes fit. Sovtek tubes are almost impossible to remove. I will have to get better tube sockets or just cut away the ones in place which is such a pity. I can hear some distortion in right channel which is not present in my Akitika preamp with built in phono preamp. Is it because tubes are not properly seated ? Not sure... but this needs to go back to the bench.

Akitika phono preamp is on par with Lounge Audio LCR preamp and just sounds right for less than $200. I hope this SunValley preamp will outperform it after it gets reworked.

Neville

Last edited by Neville; 24th January 2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 AM   #92
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Neville - yes i also have a similar question with the v1 and v2 sockets, they are not a type i've used before. When I push 12ax7 gold lions in as far in as I can (without excessive force) there is probably a few millimeters of pin above the socket which you can see poking through. I've just assumed this is correct way valves are to be seated in this type of socket. The phono is extremely quiet and distortion free for me (i'm using 2x genelex gold lion 12ax7 and 1x nos brimar 12au7), so hopefully you should be able to resolve the right channel distortion.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 AM   #93
vkung is offline vkung  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNasty666 View Post
Is there a way to change the input load impedance from 50ohm to something between 100-400 ohms. Is it as simple as changing the resistor in the path?

You can change R1 (51Ω) on the MC board to the desired impedance (100 to 400Ω).
Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM   #94
Neville is offline Neville  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansmith View Post
Hi Neville - yes i also have a similar question with the v1 and v2 sockets, they are not a type i've used before. When I push 12ax7 gold lions in as far in as I can (without excessive force) there is probably a few millimeters of pin above the socket which you can see poking through. I've just assumed this is correct way valves are to be seated in this type of socket. The phono is extremely quiet and distortion free for me (i'm using 2x genelex gold lion 12ax7 and 1x nos brimar 12au7), so hopefully you should be able to resolve the right channel distortion.
I have encountered other brands with this tube mounting,one of them is Jolida phono preamp but they were not as restrictive as this. I had no problems tube rolling.

Also on a separate note I am reminded that tube phono preamps need low noise matched tubes....or face the shhhhhhh noise when no music is playing.
  Reply to this post

EQ1616D Phono AmpHide this!Advertise here!