ELEKIT TU-8800 SET AMP

Victor, may I ask you to work with Elekit to address a couple of serviceability issues?

Looks like TU8800 shares similar structure and layout as TU8600, which is not good news IMO since it is PITA to change/service once it's built.

Just to change out coupling caps, I had to dissemble essentially the entire amp including the transformer mounts and whole circuit board since most parts (including coupling caps) are mounted on bottom of the board with no bottom panel on amp to access them.

In addition, if the amp develops problems, it is very difficult to troubleshoot since the transformers sit on top of board and get in the way of board access if one needs the amp to be turned on to troubleshoot.

I was hoping Elekit would rectify these issues with future kits:

1. Provide bottom panel access.

2. Perhaps lengthen the wires connecting transformers to the main board so that the amp can be turned on with transformers pushed out of the way for serviceability.

Thank you.

James 'S tu-8800

It was a delight to build. I really like the instruction manual. It reminded me of when I use to build Gundam models; everything was very organized and exact. Also how the amp was organized was impressive, like how the screws go into the tube socket. I really loved that part.

The sound is exceptional. Very clear and excellent soundstage. Great bass. I tried both modes but I prefer Triode mode more. I felt the UL was too bright for my taste. So far so good. I can't wait for Lundahl. This amp is amazing! Thank you again.

Warm regards,
J

49903129018_babf451033_k.jpg

49903644051_162fd1832c_k.jpg

49903644086_a45de89371_k.jpg

Last edited:
Is the lowest output impedance setting for the headphone jack 4 ohms? I have some 32 ohm dynamic driver headphones that I'm hoping to use with the TU-8800 and hoping I won't have any impedance issues.

It can handle between 8 ohms and 1k ohms. I'd set the jumper to LZ1 at first, the lowest setting. If the setting is too high it could get loud very quickly when raising the volume. I had mine at HZ2 at first with my 300 ohm headphones so I had to move it down to HZ1.

James 'S tu-8800

It was a delight to build. I really like the instruction manual. It reminded me of when I use to build Gundam models; everything was very organized and exact. Also how the amp was organized was impressive, like how the screws go into the tube socket. I really loved that part.

The sound is exceptional. Very clear and excellent soundstage. Great bass. I tried both modes but I prefer Triode mode more. I felt the UL was too bright for my taste. So far so good. I can't wait for Lundahl. This amp is amazing! Thank you again.

Warm regards,
J

49903129018_babf451033_k.jpg

49903644051_162fd1832c_k.jpg

49903644086_a45de89371_k.jpg

Upgrades

Yes, I bought the kit including the Lundahls from a dealer in the Netherlands.
Upgraded the coupling caps to Jupiter Jupiter Copper Foil Paper & Wax (0,01µ) and V-Cap ODAM (0,1uf).
Volume pot is a TKD 2CP-601 which I prefer to the 2CP-2500 series from the sonic point of view.
Resistors in position R101 .. 112 and R201 .. 212 have been replaced with Takman Metal Films.
Also PTC101 and 201 have been replaced with Takman Metal Films. I don't like non-linear resistors in that position!
As I don't need much power with my Lowther TP1s my standard set of output tubes is a pair of Mullard 6V6G from the 1940s.
The input and driver stages are using a pair of Mullard CV4024 with "goal" getter support.
I find my TU-8800 very resolving, tonally accurate and yet musically satisfactory.

IMG_20200515_183144.jpg

IMG_20200515_111607.jpg

Last edited:
I finished my build a couple of weeks ago

I had no problems in the build other than having a few parts go missing on the floor under my test bench. All voltage readings were within spec and I am now listening with either Spatial Audio M3 Sapphire's or Quad ELS (57).
I am liking the 8800 quite a bit better than a borrowed 8600 in my system. The 300b is a bit soft for me at either end. The 8800 is a good match for the Spatial's.
I am working on a review of this amp now that it has a few hours on it and should be posted next week at
Home - MyAudioPhrenia