New build Tu-8340

So my system is the 8200 and the 8500, built them both no issues, awesome sound. Decided to go with the big power for the future, so I built the 8340 before it was not available. Again, what a great kit. I updated the coupling caps to Wima MKP10's. Only issue I had was a bad solder connection on a pin to OPT on one channel. Victor called me on every step of this troubleshooting and we got it done....Wow, this amp is massive, sound is incredible, thanks, to Victor and all support in Japan.....

Which tubes and transformers?

Did you build it with the stock OPTs or the Lundahls? Decent as the stock ones are the Lundahls just put the amp in a MUCH better class of performance, albeit at a price.

The best OP tubes I found were the Genelex (reissue) KT77s. Pricey yes, but they get so much more out of the amp than budget EL34s. If you've already shelled out for the Lundahls do your amp a favour and get a quad of these.

Haven't heard the MKP10 in the 8340 but Victor's basic Mundorf upgrade sounded considerably better than the stock Panasonics and it's not huge bucks.

See the WallofSound.ca reviews I wrote:

Elekit TU-8340VK Follow-up: Reviewed with Lundahl transformers and Triangle speakers | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

A Survey of Four Sets of Power Tubes in Two Push-Pull Amps | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Regards, Steve

Did you build it with the stock OPTs or the Lundahls? Decent as the stock ones are the Lundahls just put the amp in a MUCH better class of performance, albeit at a price.

The best OP tubes I found were the Genelex (reissue) KT77s. Pricey yes, but they get so much more out of the amp than budget EL34s. If you've already shelled out for the Lundahls do your amp a favour and get a quad of these.

Haven't heard the MKP10 in the 8340 but Victor's basic Mundorf upgrade sounded considerably better than the stock Panasonics and it's not huge bucks.

See the WallofSound.ca reviews I wrote:

Elekit TU-8340VK Follow-up: Reviewed with Lundahl transformers and Triangle speakers | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

A Survey of Four Sets of Power Tubes in Two Push-Pull Amps | Wall of Sound | Audio and Music Reviews

Regards, Steve
Steve, thanks for the response, yes I 've read your reviews and appreciate the information. I'm using the stock OPT (I'm waiting for Victor to put the Lundahls on sale:)). The stock OPT are pretty darn robust and to my ear sound very good. I have a matched quad of JJ 6AC7s that I'm running now (they sound great) and yes I really like the KT77 tube and will roll a quad of them to compare at some point. I've used the Wima MKP10's in several builds and they sound and work great just like a capacitor should and they fit nicely on PCB's, Thanks again, Tom

Decided to go with the big power for the future, so I built the 8340 before it was not available.
Am wondering what you might mean by "...... before it was not available."?

Am thinking I would rather have the TU-8340VK to go with my TU-8500 then the Sun Valley amp as think my speakers would be happier with the extra PP watts. But, those 845 tubes look mighty interesting and I've never run a pair before.

Am wondering what you might mean by "...... before it was not available."?

Am thinking I would rather have the TU-8340VK to go with my TU-8500 then the Sun Valley amp as think my speakers would be happier with the extra PP watts. But, those 845 tubes look mighty interesting and I've never run a pair before.

Thought that I read somewhere that it was a limited edition? Sorry if I got that wrong. Anyway it was a good nudge to get one, :D. Interesting you mention extra watts. The 8340 lets you switch between ultralinear and triode mode on the fly, to my surprise the difference in volume is almost not discernible to my ears and triode reduces the output wattage significantly...

Victor Kung tells me that they are available now, as are all the upgrades, including the Lundahl OPTs. I'm leaning towards the 8340 or the 845 amp. Don't think we will run out of the output tubes with the 8340 in my lifetime and would be fun to tube-roll. Decisions, decisions........

I know it's 18 months later but......
I built my TU-8340VK back at the end of 201. (Lundahl OPT, upgrade audio line caps.)
I was using the KT150 tubes until recently. They always sounded a little harsh especially with high vocals and recently seemed to increase in harshness.
This week switched to Triode mode and to KT77's (thanks Victor).

Warmth everywhere.... amazing difference - the base sharp toughness is down a bit, but I can now listen for hours without any fatigue.......