Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 1st July 2019, 12:00 AM   #11
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
I am assuming that the amplifier is setup to provide rated output with standard level input and volume control set at 12:00 with which is -20dB attenuation as per normal practice.
Cifte12AU7 said in the original post that the Elekit volume had been set to 12 o'clock permanently. This is convenient as preamp's volume control can be used in its full range, which is not the case if you connect a CD player or a DAC with a 2V RMS standard output level to the TU-8600 directly.

On the other hand, this is not optimal from a sound quality perspective as volume pots are not very stable components and their adverse effect on the sound quality is the minimum when set to maximum. This, however, is obviously not a long term solution.

Quote:
Amp vol control set to 100% therefore causes preamp needs to run at -20dB operating level and this causes loss of system SNR of 20dB at max system output, and worse at lower level system output..
This is just one factor. The preamps usually drive the power amps with very low output impedance, which helps minimize the noise of the power amps. If you add resistors to drop the voltage then it will increase the output impedance of the preamp hence the noise level of the Elekit.

Quote:
Volume pot can be replaced with fixed resistors in 9:1 ratio to give same sensitivity as 50% volume control and discrete resistors may sound better than carbon vol control.
Yes, but this certainly is too much attenuation. I believe we both agree that an additional input, internal or external, is a much better solution. The 8600 is sensitive enough for that.
Old 11th October 2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczeltf View Post
If I were in the same situation then I would use a passive preamp and a separate RIAA phono unit.

Hi paczeltf - I am in a similar situation (wishing to connect a DAC and a Phono to TU8600) - in this situation, what passive preamp would you recommend to use? Thanks
Old 13th October 2019, 08:55 PM   #13
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi - I do not have experience with passive preamps as the 2 inputs of the TU-8200 are enough for me. (Note that I replaced the whole input board with separately wired input connectors as it was not reliable and I do not need the jack option anyway.)

I would consider 4 major factors if I needed one.

1) aesthetics
2) quality of volume attenuator
3) quality of RCA connectors
4) internal grounding scheme, which is seldom specified unless it is a DIY unit

Has anyone disabled or bypassed the volume attenuator in the TU 8600?Hide this!Advertise here!