Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 12th May 2019, 03:30 PM   #1
mdye is offline mdye
diyAudio Member

Default TU-8200 Compatible Power Tubes

Hello,

I just purchased the TU-8200DX kit, and although it hasn't even arrived yet, I've started going through my tube stash pulling out all of the 6L6GC tubes I have as well as their relatives. I haven't been able to locate a list of all of the compatible tubes for this amp, other than what is advertised by Elekit (6L6GC, KT66, KT88, EL34, etc.). Sounds like the voltages in the 8200 are too high for the original 6L6 metal base 6L6G varieties, however can someone confirm whether or not the following can be safely used (regardless of pentode, triode or UL modes)?
  • 5881/6L6WGB
  • 807 (with adapter)
  • 6BG6 (with adapter)

Any others that I'm not thinking about? Has anyone measured the plate and screen voltages applied to the power tubes in the TU-8200?

Thanks for your help!
Old 13th May 2019, 06:11 AM   #2
vkung is offline vkung  Canada
diyAudio Member

It is ok to use your tube set
You need to know the Design of TU-8200 is based on 6L6GC.
Old 13th May 2019, 11:38 AM   #3
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdye View Post
Hello, I just purchased the TU-8200DX kit
(...) Has anyone measured the plate and screen voltages applied to the power tubes in the TU-8200?
Hi,

If your kit has been shipped then I assume you have already received the manual in email or have downloaded it from somewhere.

The schematics are on page 19 with many reference points and related voltages.

Here is the list of approximate working conditions that you should expect from the power tube without signal. Note that the FETs in the power supply are used for filtering but like in most tube amps, none of the voltages are regulated so they depend on your line voltage.

Ua = 260 V
Ug2 = 260-270 V depending on mode
Ia = 71-75 mA (plate dissipation = 18.5-20 W)
Ig2 = 3 mA (with 6L6GC)

The usual limiting values are anode dissipation, screen grid voltage and heater current. GLG6B is on the edge with 2 parameters out of these 3 so it should not be used.

Also note that the protection circuit prevents damage from control grid issues (when the tube cannot be biased) but not from screen grid (or plate) shorts so be careful with old tubes. Victor already mentioned that this will be addressed in the new release.

Some design parameters suggest that the amp is optimized for 6L6GC in UL mode.
Old 14th May 2019, 05:56 PM   #4
roncagg is offline roncagg  United States
diyAudio Member

I can confirm that the Tung Sol 7581a tubes work fine and sound great!
Old 15th May 2019, 01:26 AM   #5
mdye is offline mdye
diyAudio Member

Thank you, all, for the very helpful info on specs and power tube options. Sounds like I have a number of suitable options on hand for rolling power tubes, should I ever find the need.

I haven't received the amp yet, but it has shipped from the supplier. That said, I haven't been emailed with any sort of manual. Was the supplier supposed to email me an English language version or something?

TU-8200 Compatible Power TubesHide this!Advertise here!