Took Viktor's Advice on 12ax7 in TU 8600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I met Viktor during a spring snowstorm in Chicago this past weekend at AXPONA.

Viktor was just as amazing and charming in person as he was on the phone when he helped me during my build of the 8600.

At any rate, Viktor recommended I tube roll the 12ax7. I was using a Genalex Gold Lion reissue. I'm going to hunt down a Telefunken or Mullard (I have those in 12au7s but not in ax7s). I put in a RCA 7051 from the early 60s--considered to be the best US made 12ax7 by many folks.

Great change through this roll. I'm really enjoying it. I will let it run in for a month before making comparisons.

You should look for JAN ECG 5751's made by Philips. They are arguably the most musical 12AX7 replacements I've heard yet. You'll have to find tubes with blue markings, those are made by Philips and not the ones with green which were RCA made and branded as "Philips". The 5814A can be used in place of the 12AU7's and they are wonderful as well.

I am admittingly hoarding a hand full of them, they are becoming increasingly harder to find with the original Philips blue markings. Plenty of the green ones are floating around.

Also, Sylvania 5814A's are good and are more common.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.