ELEKIT TU-8200R

Can anyone tell me if the jumpers to change the headphone settings on the 8200R are on the top or the bottom plate?

Does changing these actually change the impedance of the headphone socket or just the gain of the headphone stage?

And lastly are there any options to extend this jumper setup to the back of the amp for quick changes when the amp is turned off?

Thankyou

Joined 2018
Paid Member
The 8200R does not have any headphone specific stage. The phones are connected to the speaker output, and different jumper settings give you different signal attenuation (full level, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, respectively).

The output impedance is very high (>220 Ohms) at every setting, I suspect it was chosen for ear protection.

Elekit does not support direct availability of jumpers in any of their amps, Victor will confirm that for sure. (The risk with the headphone output jumpers is not that they are connected to some high voltage, but potential insulation problems with not properly carried out custom mods. ) My not very EH&S-friendly suggestion is that test the sound with every setting, and assemble the amp fully with the setting that you like the most.

Last edited:
Thankyou, seems like a big change not to mention it in the change log for the newer R model.

Does the 1/8 impedance rule still apply here? I have one of these in order but now a bit worried about compatibility with 13 and 32 ohm headphones, I also have a 300 ohm model which should be fine.

Thankyou

Last edited:
Picking up interference with my new 8200R

Just finished an 8200R with Lundahl transformers (thank you so much Victor) and am blown away with the quality - transparency - of the sound - through Frugalhorns.

However I am picking up interference, the worst from from a simple RPi DAC that is a couple of feet away. I have already taken the advice to twist the mains to switch lead and the mains side of the mains transformer leads. That greatly reduced mains hum.

But I am left with a high pitched continuous whine at highest volume with the DAC turned off, and every instruction audible when the DAC is turned on.

What to do??

Jamie

Joined 2018
Paid Member
Does the 1/8 impedance rule still apply here? I have one of these in order but now a bit worried about compatibility with 13 and 32 ohm headphones, I also have a 300 ohm model which should be fine.

There is no strict 1/8 impedance rule, but most of today's phones were designed to be driven from low impedance, simply because this is what most solid state amps provide. In the old days, the standard output impedance was 120 Ohms for 600 Ohm studio headphones but there are no common standards anymore.

You should be able to optimize the jumper settings for two phones (12/32 or 32/300) reasonably well, but not for all 3 at the same time. On the other hand, are you sure you will want to use all these phones with the 8200 for longer term? I have two pairs of high quality headphones but use only one except for testing changes.

btw, I bypassed the output resistors in my original version of the amp.

Just finished an 8200R with Lundahl transformers (thank you so much Victor) and am blown away with the quality - transparency - of the sound - through Frugalhorns.

However I am picking up interference, the worst from from a simple RPi DAC that is a couple of feet away. I have already taken the advice to twist the mains to switch lead and the mains side of the mains transformer leads. That greatly reduced mains hum.

But I am left with a high pitched continuous whine at highest volume with the DAC turned off, and every instruction audible when the DAC is turned on.

What to do??

Jamie

Interesting. I've got a Khadas Tone Board and a RPi right next to my 8200R, and my router is about three feet away and the 8200R is dead quiet. Sorry you're having problems.

Hi everyone,
I've just built the TU-8200R kit to review on my YouTube channel. The 220 ohm output impedance is a problem though and bypassing the 220 ohm resistors seems like a problem too in terms of too much output power for most headphones.
My plan is to replace the 220 ohm resistors with an L-pad to drop the output without increasing output impedance too high. Are there any reasons not to do this or other things I should be aware of with this plan?

Oh really? That's great news! I read earlier in this thread that building those resistors resulted in unusable volume range. I'm glad to hear that might not be the case. Thank you!

I haven't tried the bypass yet. I was waiting until of confirmed how I would manage the higher output, but now I'll go give it a try.