Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Elekit News and products from Elekit

Old 8th March 2019, 03:57 AM   #1
Wansmith is offline Wansmith  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default TU8200 Slight static noise when adjusting volume pot

Hi there

I have a TU8200, about 3 years old. It sounds great. However, in the past few months, when i turn the volume pot, a small scratchy static noise is heard. After changing to the new setting, it sounds great again. Is there something that i can do to make the volume change sound smooth again?

I have the stock volume pot.

Many thanks
Rohan
Old 9th March 2019, 05:42 AM   #2
Hmavv is offline Hmavv  United States
diyAudio Member

You can try turning the knob back and forth for a while to break apart any corrosion.

Or use the proper DeoxIT to clean it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

I would personally desolder it for cleaning. You don't want the cleaner getting on your board.
Old 9th March 2019, 10:40 AM   #3
paczeltf is offline paczeltf  Hungary
diyAudio Member

This happens to all pots, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Cleaning sometimes helps, sometimes does not, because the cause is not always dirt contamination. The wiper wears out the resistive layer, and the resulting small particles scratch it whenever you turn the knob, which further accelerates this process.

You would need to desolder the pot for cleaning anyway, why don't you replace it with a new one? The small Alps pot used in TU-8200 costs about $6-7.

TU8200 Slight static noise when adjusting volume potHide this!Advertise here!