TU8200 Slight static noise when adjusting volume pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there

I have a TU8200, about 3 years old. It sounds great. However, in the past few months, when i turn the volume pot, a small scratchy static noise is heard. After changing to the new setting, it sounds great again. Is there something that i can do to make the volume change sound smooth again?

I have the stock volume pot.

Many thanks
Rohan

You can try turning the knob back and forth for a while to break apart any corrosion.

Or use the proper DeoxIT to clean it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube on how to do this.

I would personally desolder it for cleaning. You don't want the cleaner getting on your board.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
This happens to all pots, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. Cleaning sometimes helps, sometimes does not, because the cause is not always dirt contamination. The wiper wears out the resistive layer, and the resulting small particles scratch it whenever you turn the knob, which further accelerates this process.

You would need to desolder the pot for cleaning anyway, why don't you replace it with a new one? The small Alps pot used in TU-8200 costs about $6-7.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.