Several months now with TU-8600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As the title says I've been running the TU-8600 amp for many months to power the highs of a pair of Von Schweikert VR4.5 . The lows are powered by a Halo A21.

The sound I'm hearing is just amazing. So many layers of warmthness along with so many layers of beautiful sound, that's all I can describe it,really. Just a real, natural, big sound.

Before the TU-8600, I was running the TU-8200 for the highs. That too sounded great, but the TU-8600 sounds bigger. And before the TU-8200, the A21 powered it all. That sounded good too but it didn't have the tube wamthness.

Its been a great several months now with the TU-8600. I opted for all the upgrades. Victor was my mentor, really. He helped me out with everything and even called me to congratulate me with the completion of the amp.

I guess the next step would be to buy another TU-8600 to power both the highs and the lows with pure tube power :scratch2:

Thanks to Mr. Fujita for this wonderful creation and Thanks to Victor for helping me with the build and great upgrades.

IMG_8842.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful amp

Hi, I accords to you too. I am very happy with the amp. But I have found one problem recently. I changed the 300b from Gold Lion to ELROG 300b. Really I noted all better but here is problem. The filament of one channel light on one second, later power off another second and finally power on (I interchange both tubes and the same resul). Exploring a few (with a scope) I found that optocoupler that set the enable signal of voltage regulator has this behaviour.
Using the original tubes the fact is the same but because filaments are differents is not visible, but I got the same scope capture.
Something knows why this strange behaviour?
This little power off can reduce life time of tubes?
Scope capture shown that (blue trace) led side of opto has a little drop and enable input of MIC29x has one little glitch (red trace)

Best

Attachments

• tu1.jpg
    tu1.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 258
Hi, same nebulous9 I think that this amp is really great, but this little problem maybe meaninful. I wrote to elekit and they reply me some points to check. Later discard some points, I found that my ecc82 was not totally in good state. When I changed with other, then the problem dissapear. But really this maybe a weak point in the design because one ecc82 not fully in good state (because the bad one mine really sounded very well yet) can lead two starts in the filament of 300bs in few seconds (I saw the same behavior with scope with EML and Gold Lion but it was not not visible because slow start-up, while that Elrogs has filaments light up in one or two seconds and here this problem is visible). I propose to elekit solve this little problem but I do not know if they will do it or not...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.