Sparkler - S507

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Dear Victor,

I'm writing to express my great pleasure with the Sparkler Audio S507V and Elekit TU-882. I'm very happy that I have these units, and I thank you for letting me know that the exchange rate was favorable.

With the S507V / TU-882 / HD600's I just listened to "The Nightfly" by Donald Fagen; I used this CD to gauge audio systems for many years. It was amazing! I heard incredible detail and richness that I'd never heard before. It was like hearing it for the first time, only better! For well-recorded CD's it is like hearing them for the first time.

On selected Miles Davis works (e.g., "Round About Midnight," "Miles Ahead" tracks) the dynamics were shocking! This was the closest thing I'd ever heard to a live acoustical band performance and it was incredible. I had to be very careful with the volume control on the 882, as it easily drives my HD600's beyond any reasonable level. And I grew up with rock music so that's impressive!

A favorite piece is "Sail" by Oregon because there's a lot going on that systems I'd heard before smear together. Not the Sparkler. I heard new details and musicality within 7 seconds of pressing 'Start'. (yes, I timed it) This was the first time in 40 years that I could actually hear what Ralph Towner was playing on 12-string guitar. In previous years I knew there was a 12-string but couldn't make out all the notes & chords. Not so any longer. The Sparkler really seems to separate instruments and notes, more like "being there" rather listening to a recording.

I've not suffered any listening fatigue from the NOS DAC within the Sparkler. I'd read 'horror stories' about NOS DAC's causing fatigue but this one does not fatigue me. My guess is that the 882 (or any Elekit SET) is a very good match for the Sparkler.

In line with taking baby steps, I had built the Fostex P1000-BH full range speakers (rather than going straight to BK-20). The 882 will drive them to reasonable levels in my study! And even with these small speakers I am hearing details and instrument separation that I'd never heard before. I'm running an ancient powered subwoofer to get bass; will need to upgrade sometime.

I've been going back and forth between the Sparkler's DAC, and the Sparkler driving a Bifrost Multibit DAC over coax. They definitely sound somewhat different but I can't put it to words at the moment, and I don't like to throw around 'audiophile phrases.' They're both very good. The Bimby does a good job with USB-sourced music.

One thing is for sure: this setup with either DAC reveals poor source material very quickly. Not all recordings are created equal!

That's about it, I just wanted to express how happy I am with this equipment. Thank you again for making such great products available!!

Sincerely,
Rich

flags_1

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.