Measurements on TU8600

Hello all. I own a TU8600 some month already. I have done a lot of tube rolling and at least I found the tubes like me (12AU7 RCA clear top, Tesla E83CC and EML300b Mesh or ELROG 300b.
Well, using the ELROGs, I have measure the distortion pattern (1Khz, 1Wrms at 8 ohm). Really horrible.. But the sound is wonderful.
Can somebody explain me because this horrible distortion pattern sound so good????

Attachments

• TU8600_low.jpg
    TU8600_low.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 290
  • blue-output at 8ohm_low.jpg
    blue-output at 8ohm_low.jpg
    897.9 KB · Views: 278
Hello all. I own a TU8600 some month already. I have done a lot of tube rolling and at least I found the tubes like me (12AU7 RCA clear top, Tesla E83CC and EML300b Mesh or ELROG 300b.
Well, using the ELROGs, I have measure the distortion pattern (1Khz, 1Wrms at 8 ohm). Really horrible.. But the sound is wonderful.
Can somebody explain me because this horrible distortion pattern sound so good????
Hi Jama,

I just saw this older thread regarding measurements on the TU8600. Looks worse than the TU8200?
see the measurements at
https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/elekit/tu-8200.htm
I use the TU8200R as a headphone amp with my headphones having ~ 105dB/V sensitivity, running it less than 0.1 Watt region and it works great. ie very low distortion. When it's driving speakers it's only at polite levels ie 76dB average volume and speakers that have >>6Ohm over most freq and 86dB sensitivity. So for my speakers it's around 0.3W average.

Actually, what average power do you listen to the TU8600? maybe it's much less than 1W so the distortion could be a lot lower.

Nick

Hi Nick. Really liked the elekit. I owned both amps, 8200 and 8600. For me 8600 sound better. But to be honest, in this moment I sold both amps. With very complex music (like a symphony of Mahler) distortion is very obvious (as any SE) in some passages . So, I searched some amp that was better, and I found it.
Using old Quad ESL57 and modulus 86 of neurochrome I have not heard any distortion in the same music passages. Lows a lot better (in a electrostatic speaker) and all music is more clear and lifelike.
And, yes, when you down the power output I measure better distortion pattern.
For headphones maybe wonderful, but I do not known if it is a good idea change from 8200 to 8600
Good luck

Hi Jama thanks for your observations. I'm planning to keep the TU8200 as my office/work-desk amp for high impedance HD650(headphones) and small bookshelf speakers. I agree it does get distorted when trying to play at realistic symphony hall or heavy bass rock volumes or even loud violin passages ie playing at the average 86+dB volume with peaks upto 100dB. Hence I am looking for another amp for my living room, what did you end up with?

And yes I don't think the TU8600 or TU8900 will be sufficient. I would have bought the TU8600/8900 instead of the TU8200 if it was in the same small sized chassis in order to fit on my desk area.

Hi again. Along years trying different technologies (pp, se, tubes, ss, class A, AB), all depends your taste. For me, in this moment, push pull with very low distortion, A or AB is a good choice. If you can, try Modulus86 from neurochrome. It is very good at very low money.
Other very good is a clone of firstwatt F7. But components are very hard to get.
SE amp sound very good but with complex music is not a good choice. Instead, for simple music is spectacular.
Best

Reactions: 1 user