Sterephile - Herb's Third Report from CAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Herb's Third Report from CAF | Stereophile.com
Stereophile - Herb's report from CAF 2017

Herb's Third Report from CAF | Stereophile.com

Throughout the 1990s, whilst I imported Audio Note products from the UK and Japan (now called Kondo), I longed to simplify my life and add more Zen to my lifestyle: I just wanted to import high quality tube-amp kits from Asia and Europe. But alas, the Great Force had other plans for me.
When I walked into the VK Music room, I was jealous and embarrassed. I was jealous, because obviously VK Music's Victor Kung was doing something I admire; I was simultaneously embarrassed that I had never heard of his British Columbia-based operation. Not only that, I was jealous because his TU-8600 single-ended 300B stereo amplifier kit ($1185 w/o tubes) looked even better than the ones I imagined importing.

I auditioned the TU-8600 with the $585 Lundahl transformer upgrade. It was driving the German made AER BD-1 full-range drivers ($5000/pair); mounted on custom transparent open baffles (NP) and sourced by a Kazutoshi Tsukahara-designed Sparkler Audio model S503 "Spiral" CD player/transport ($1750).

My jealousy amped up even further as I let out my breath and enjoyed the vividness and (no pun) transparency of "Waltz For Debbie" by Diana Panton. I asked the guy sitting next to me what he thought. He said he was totally impressed, but pointed out that the AER speakers were rolling off very quickly below 200Hz. I agreed, but reminded him that these full-range drivers appeared to reach cleanly and beautifully into that rarified 10–20kHz octave that most full-range drivers only speculate on.

Overall, this was a truly impressive Zen-type system; maybe only a subwoofer shy of greatness.

Read more at Herb's Third Report from CAF | Stereophile.com

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I too was at CAF last weekend, and spent some time in that room. I was neither embarrassed nor jealous, and while it sounded nice, I pointed out that it needed subwoofer.
Gentlemen was defiant, but that is his subjective opinion. This was what I call bonsai system. While cute, its no forest for sure.
AER fullrange drivers are way above Lowther, almost free of nasty resonances on top. But they roll of at low fr too soon on narrow open baffle. Even dedicated woofer would, everyone knows that.
I was sorry he was not playing back loaded horns, that would sound fuller.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.