TU-8200DX.. Finished!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Feedbacks - TU-8200DX

Subject: Re: amp update?

Finished the amp this evening and have been listening to it for the past couple of hours and it sounds great. I can't wait until the tubes break in and open up a little bit too.

I was really impressed with this kit and how much simpler the construction is. It's sturdier feeling, it was much easier to finish up, and the final product looks fantastic. Please be sure to send my positive feedback back to Elekit so they can hear it if you talk to them!

Thanks again for all of your help, I look forward to selling some of these amps soon.

Nate

=======================================
Hi Victor
Wow. It sounds great. I was almost surprised when I turned my amp on and it worked! I started at 9 this morning and finished at 6 pm. I don't know where the time went. I didn't even stop for lunch. But really it was fun to build and it sounds great. Best I've ever heard (but I'm new at this too.) So far I'm only feeding it from my ipod too. It should only get better with the turntable and a proper dac for my digital music.
Thanks so much for importing this kit. It was fun to build and is truly a high quality system. The quality is amazing! I found myself surprised when everything fit so well. I work in aviation with good quality parts all day but I always expect to have to modify parts to fit. Not so with this kit. Everything fit to astounding tolerances. Japanese precision......

Thanks again. Really happy with everything and considering a preamp now too.
Derek

Had a few hours listening experience now and have only positive things to say about this amp. Better clarity, better channel separation, solid base, nuanced midrange, and fantastic attack on the highs.

JEAN

Darth Wader

Post subject: My TU-8200 build

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2014 4:07 am

Darth Wader (from : DIYAUdioproject.com)

Post subject: My TU-8200 build

I just spent the last few days building my new Elekit TU-8200 amp kit. I have to say that this was, by far, the best kit I've ever assembled! Although not for the beginner, I found the instructions very easy to follow, very concise, and helpful. The fit and finish on this amplifier kit is unrivaled! Everything fit together perfectly, all of the required parts were present, with none left over after completion! After having built several Chinese kits, it was obvious to me that the attention to detail of this Japanese amplifier, far outstrips anything I've seen from anywhere else!
Now, for the sound. Unbelievable! As soon as I turned it on and plugged in my headphones I knew this amp was special. I own a pair of Sennheiser HD-800 and, without a doubt, this was the best I've heard them! It was a little strained at first but, after a few hours of break in, it became far more than the sum of its parts. The detail was amazing! There were layers to the music that I'd only had a glimpse of before. The bass is truly impressive but the real star of the show is the midrange/high end frequencies! They're coherent, musical, and have a such a palpable presence that I forgot I was listening to headphones. Truly magical!
Next, I took the amp to work to try it out on a pair of speakers. (I work at a high end audio dealer) I hooked up a pair of Totem Rainmakers that were fresh out of the box. I had the TU-8200 in the ultra linear mode and I found that the sound was really good. It doesn't go real loud with these speakers (the rainmakers are rated at 87.5db/1 watt) but it didn't need to. It was a truly involving experience. I would probably opt for a more efficient speaker to match up with this amp but, that said, if ear splitting volume isn't your thing anyway, I think you'll be happy with whatever you match it up with. I found the impedance selector on the back of the amp to be quite convenient as I tried a few other speakers ranging from 4 to 11 ohms.
I just finished the project so I haven't had time to try the other amplifier modes (pentode and triode), but I look forward to that! I also want to try some of the other tube options in place of the SL6GC. I think it's great that this amplifier has auto bias, which allows for the use of several different tube options!
I'll try to give a more complete review once I've spent some time with this. That's if I'm not too busy enjoying the music!!! :)
Way to go Mr. Fujita, and thanks Victor, for bringing this little jewel to North America!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.