Amp Camp Amp #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the reason to split output current sensing resistor, then
not split R7 into bootstrap and allow this current source be active?

Your output is cap coupled, not like a single unsplit current sense
here would have made a constant current behave any differently.
Also the split being slightly assymetric looks suspiciously like you
had at least tried an active version based upon split sensing, and
then abandoned without removing the unnecessary components.

In the interest of simplicity (if that is the only reason), why are we
having 4 non-identical resistors instead of one or two all the same?

omg...

finished my amps yesterday, they have about 16hrs on them and I am really blown away. These little amps sound really good. I built them as designed no changes. I mean I'm all for tweaking and making them sound better but I think I'm just going to listen to them for a while. It's almost as if these little amps were the missing link in my system. Hard to believe. It really is as if I don't have speakers in the room anymore, just music, it's crazy. Thanks for such an awesome kit.

Bigfish - I think the current draw on a class A amp would make for very frequent charge cycles, and unless already extant in your system, the cost of batteries and charging system might be far more than the SMPS bricks with which the official kits are shipped.

The point of these kits is low cost and simplicity of build, and while I've only just received mine yesterday and only just inspected the parts, it certainly looks like a simple build.

I am a total newb to electronics. A while ago I was talking to another member and was convinced that I could probably handle building a Tubelab SSE amp from the board and instructions on the DIY Audio web site but I'm thinking the ACA may be the better starter kit to build ...especially now that complete kits are back in stock. Can anyone offer opinions? What is the sound quality of this amp? Like the SSE I'm also going to need a preamp too correct?

hello
i'm newb too
but i'd like to discuss the design : why not put four same transistors instead of one ?
and upgrade the others componants's wattage accordingly? with the same design

then when listening at say 4 watts, each transistor give 1 watt and the distorsion remain low? it there good reasons for not trying so?

Status
Not open for further replies.