Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp
His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2018, 07:15 PM   #531
Arno Pf is offline Arno Pf  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Building more solid versions now on a decent heat sink.
Old 22nd September 2018, 06:51 AM   #532
diyAudio Member

With 2x IXTP01N100D per current source of the D3a...Leaving the E88CC current sources as is with the 2540
Old 30th September 2018, 06:54 PM   #533
mrdave45 is offline mrdave45  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hmm, went to use my phono stage last night and turns out the main fuse has blown. I had a t500mA in there. I'm on 240v.
Have had a quick look inside but nothing obvious. I was wondering whether that's the correct value. It had been working fine. I did leave it on quite a bit longer than I usually do last time I used it so am wondering if 500mA was right on the cusp. Although 120w seems a tad excessive for a phono stage.
Old 1st October 2018, 01:52 PM   #534
frankwilker is offline frankwilker  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,
are you using a fast fuse? Or a slow type?
Post the voltage values of your transformer, please.
The init current of a transformer can be up to the 10th of the working current.
You can test with a littler larger fuse, 630mA up to 1A. If they will also blow up, your problem is a greater one.
regards
Old 1st October 2018, 04:09 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Hi Frank, ha, I'm an idiot. I've actually got a fast blow 500ma. I thought it said T but on closer inspection it's an F. I do have some vague recollection of only having f type fuses of that value in my multi box. Due to house move I'm struggling to find the box but that certainly makes me feel a bit more hopeful. I'll see if I can find another then I'll also measure the transformer voltages. Cheers.
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:01 PM   #536
diyAudio Member

Well, I found my box of fast blow fuses and it all works again. I guess that something just drew slightly too much. I've got some time delays arriving tomorrow so I'll swap it out for something more permanent. Sounds like 500mA is about right.
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:56 PM   #537
diyAudio Member

Could other builders of this design show the frequency spectrum with the input shorted and another one with the input open?
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:25 PM   #538
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately I don't have the kit to do that, but it is dead quiet, it's only on the very last couple of notches on my impasse preamp you start to hear hiss. The gain on the hmn is sufficient to bring my benz wood sl (0.3mv) to around the same line level as my dac. My speakers are around 94db so it's very quiet. Impressively so.
I'm assuming it's the noise of the preamp you want a spectrum for, as you wanted one with the input shorted?
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:27 PM   #539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdave45 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the kit to do that, but it is dead quiet, it's only on the very last couple of notches on my impasse preamp you start to hear hiss. The gain on the hmn is sufficient to bring my benz wood sl (0.3mv) to around the same line level as my dac. My speakers are around 94db so it's very quiet. Impressively so.
I'm assuming it's the noise of the preamp you want a spectrum for, as you wanted one with the input shorted?
I use a laptop with some free software and an usb audiocard
Old 2nd October 2018, 06:32 PM   #540
diyAudio Member

Hmm, I have an rme ufx but I suspect the running noise on this preamp would be similar to the running noise on the ufx. What software you using, I'll give it a go.

His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono PreampHide this!Advertise here!